Existing Member?

The Saga of Heather's Travels ... the story of a dream come true

Perhentian Islands and the North East Coast of Malaysia

MALAYSIA | Thursday, 29 October 2009 | Views [975] | Comments [2]

Lovely friends, we had a great night....

Lovely friends, we had a great night....

Here I am back at last, for the last week or more I have had only brief and expensive access to the internet, and not on my laptop, no wifi where I was. It has been an interesting time, as I had been looking forward with great anticipation to seeing the Perhentian Islands, Malaysia's jewel, and said to be among the most beautiful in the world. I think I must have been spoilt in the Thai islands as I confess to being a tad disappointed. There were some beautiful spots, but the price of the resorts in those spots was way outside my budget. I stayed in a medium budget resort, but as it was the end of season for them, they were winding down, very little food available in restaurant, much better to eat out in the wee cafe on the beach, where I had some fabulous meals which were actually incredibly cheap. A 20 min walk through the middle of the island took you through to another beach where there were alot of night spots and many young backpackers, lots of beer and wodka funnily enough. Went one night for dinner with some lovely friends, Rosie and Lex, from Portsmouth in England, and we had a great night. The highlight would have to be the day snorkelling trip, that included swimming with sharks and seeing giant turtles. No photos though, as transport was in small longboat where everything was very wet and not safe for cameras. There were many sunburnt bodies that day, but luckily I am so brown now that I dont seem to burn anymore. The day included about 5 different snorkelling spots, and each time, it was over the side of the boat, then the agonising haul back in, luckily there was a ladder (of sorts!!) Oh to be young again! I managed it and had alot of fun. Malysian people in this area are predominately Muslim, and have a lot of trouble coping with the fact that I am on my own, much more so than in Thailand. It seems an unbelievable thing to do for a woman alone, let alone one my age! I am so sick of answering that question, but I don't want to be disrespectful, so try and explain, though often use the "he died" way out, as they seem to get that ok!! I am now in the city of Kota Bahru, which is at the very northern part of the east coast of peninsula Malaysia, and fly back to Kuala Lumpur tomorrow, then take all day train on saturday, down to Singapore for my beautiful granddaughter Eva's 1st birthday. So looking forward to being with family again, I am loving life on the road, but there's nothing like being with family after all this time.

Comments

1

Hi Chook,
Have a great time with your granddaughter and happy birthday
Just had 13 days looking after our 2 and am exhausted pleased to be back at work.
Nick - SiL has been in Hongkong playing hockey and we offered to look after the boys so Sara could go to
go well mate.
Barb

  Barbara Nov 2, 2009 1:39 PM

2

Hi Heather, I so enjoyed reading your blog. You're such a great writer that you put us there with you, smelling the smells and hearing the sounds, and experiencing along with you.
Take care
Trish C

  Trish Nov 3, 2009 6:57 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.