Existing Member?

Hanna Butler Journeys

Stopover no longer

SINGAPORE | Friday, 22 June 2012 | Views [1557]

Destination Singapore, all abroad! Like many, my visits to Singapore have just been brief stopovers for a day or two between connecting flights. While on assignment here I regret not giving this neat city more time in the past.  It’s a truly international city with a bit of everything for culture vultures, foodies, shoppers and the outdoors types. Singapore’s efficient and extensive public transport system makes exploring the small island quick and easy, so you have no excuse not to!

Here are my top five things to do in Singapore:

1.       Get cultural, multi-cultural

Head to Chinatown, Little India, the Arab Quarter and the old Colonial District to get a taste for the diversity that is Singapore.  Soak up the vibe on the street, have something   to eat, and wander through temples, mosques and colonial buildings.

2.       Hit the malls

There are malls next to malls, malls inside malls everywhere you turn in Singapore. Even if you aren’t a fan of shopping, malls are unavoidable, so just stick your head in and see what all the fuss is about.  Most are located around subway stations so you won’t have to go far.

3.       Get out of the city

Downtown Singapore is where most travellers end up, but check out some of the activities that lie beyond the high rises. Jurong Bird Park, Singapore Zoo and Night Safari, Bukit Timah Nature Reserve  or a trip to Palau Ubin are all great options.

4.      Learn something new

Make a point to acquaint yourself with the little known culture of the Peranakan people of Singapore. Learn about their fascinating and very unique local culture, the Peranakan Museum and Baba House are both great places to start.

5.       Have a cup of tea

Whether it is Chinese, Indian, Malay or English style, sit down with a cup of tea and watch the city go by.  Singapore is a fast moving, ever changing place that is wonderful to watch. 

About hanna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.