Existing Member?

Hanna Butler Journeys

What is Long John Chicken?

SINGAPORE | Friday, 22 June 2012 | Views [1754] | Comments [1]

I sat down and immediately the waiter appeared. Protocol was to order on sitting down. The huge menu was totally foreign to me. The waiter stood there and listed off some of the options. It didn’t really help.

I saw Gado Gado, I get this at a place at home. It is one of my favourites. I was pretty hungry though and thought I needed something else, and felt a bit like chicken. Listed under the “Western” section was “Long John Chicken”, and the waiter was staring at me staring at the menu.  

The Gado Gado arrived straight away.  I know my Kiwi version is probably a bastard child of the mainland version, but it is the bastard child I know and like.

I can see how they are related, but this one was topped with the most awful rancid greasy off fishy smelling crackers ever. Seriously to give you an idea I reckon seagulls would have loved it.

I willed Long John’s chicken to arrive, moved my food around a bit more, finished my drink and played with my phone. The waiter came over  and asked, Good, good? Gado gado good? I nodded and rubbed my tummy and gave him a wink.

There was a problem with Long John the waiter said, but he tried explaining  they could do something similar. I heard same, same,  so I went with it and said Ok.

Then it came. It was like dense French toast made from naan bread with cheese in the middle and covered in mayonnaise and tomato sauce, and it tasted like curry.  I’m not sure what was worse. I tried to be polite, I really did.  I figured that it would actually be more polite to give up and leave, than to continue and vomit all over the table. I got the bill and mimed it was so good, but it was so big I couldn’t finish.  

I was now hungry and slightly nauseas. Thankfully the glow of a 7/11 appeared as my saviour, so I went for a couple of safe options. It was a cop out on my part, but am sure all of us have had similar experiences on the road, it is all part of the fun.

If anyone knows what Long John Chicken is, I would love to know? And your horror travelling meals?  

PS: Sorry about the bad quality photo, it was slyly taken on my phone. 

Comments

1

From your description, Long John Chicken sounded a bit like something we more often call 'Roti John' (bread with a chosen meat with onions and sauce on top, a localized pizza of sorts), but that's a pretty common Indian food in Singapore and you can get pretty good ones too.

From your picture though, have no idea what it is! That is one hybrid food =P

Jac
theoccasionaltraveller.com

  Jac Jul 12, 2012 12:02 PM

About hanna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.