Existing Member?

Journey to PNG - A Forgotten World n June 2014, I had the opportunity to travel to Papua New Guinea for work. On a brief stop-over in Port Moresby, I had the opportunity to venture out into the city, visit the local markets, the central business district, interact with the locals and meet

Journey to PNG - Man from the Highlands

PAPUA NEW GUINEA | Monday, 17 November 2014 | Views [503]

Portrait of a man from the Papuan highlands.

Portrait of a man from the Papuan highlands.

Papua New Guinea is a culturally rich, ethnically diverse, remote and often forgotten corner of the world.

While on a work trip to work in far north PNG, I had the opportunity to explore a few corners the capital Port Moresby, and a few villages on the Manus Island. It is difficult for an outsider to fathom the large population that reside in the seemingly dense and impenetrable rainforests of the country. There is an abundance of wildlife, and the local traditional clothes and cultural costumes reflect the coexistence of the locals within their natural environment.

Locals face an obesity epidemic, high levels of Diabtese cases, increasing numbers of HIV infections, and other serious medical issues that far reaching social and economic consequences. In an age of increasing connectivity, large parts of Papua New Guinea remains relatively undiscovered and unconnected to the rest of the world.

I had a chance meeting with this man from the central highlands wearing his distinct head cover. He was waiting at the Port Moresby Domestic Airport for his flight to the highlands. He invited us to visit him and assured us that the locals in his area were "good people". We thanked him, and continued our journey onwards to Manus Island.

Tags: forgotten, guinea, highlands, island, manus, new, papua, png, world

 

About hadizaher

Portrait of a man from the Papuan highlands.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Papua New Guinea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.