Existing Member?

My new life begins at LAX a journal of my 3 months living and working in Phnom Penh, and beyond.

I'm always right, I'm American

CAMBODIA | Thursday, 11 September 2008 | Views [1021] | Comments [2]

So in about 2 hours I will leave KL for the Cameroon Highlands. I didn't plan on staying here this long but I have been having a god time, I'm really looking forward to going to the highlands. The 5 days I have spent in KL have been fun and have gone by way too fast.

Probably the funniest thing to happen to me in KL happened just after I arrived. I thought it was blog worthy so here goes:

I had just gotten off the buss from the Airport to KL Sentral train station, where I was supposed to meet Leechian my Couchsurfing host. I looked around for a payphone walked up to it with the phone number and coins already in hand. Just as I was about to pick up the reciever a young Malaysian man walked by me and asked, "Is your house in there?" (referring to my large backpack). He seemed friendly enough, but the conversation just wouldn't end. Everytime I answered one question he would ask 3 more. He said a few things I didn't agree with, he seemed to have a low opinion of Cambodia when I told him that is where I am living. He also seem to think I was a sucker for doing volunteer work and wondered why the "Vietnamese" (he kept calling people from Cambodia "Vietnamese" even though I corrected him 3 times) couldn't help themselves. I didn't really feel like arguing with the guy so when ever he said something I thought was wrong or disagreed with I just let him talk. After about 10 minutes I finally told him, that I was meeting a friend here who I really had to call and that we could continue the conversation as soon as I finished my call. Of course he asked me who I was calling, what nationality they were and how I knew them. When he found out my friend was a Malaysian that I was staying with, he was shocked. He asked how I met her and I told him though a web site for travellers. "Oh you mean like couch surfing?" he replied. I told him yes that was the web site, then he told me he was very "skeptical" of couchsurfers. When I asked why he told me that his friend used the site and the women he stayed with tried to seduce him and became angry with him because he wouldn't have sex with them. I laughed when I heard the story. But he kept going on about how all CSers want to do is have orgies and do drugs. I told him that wasn't my experience with CS. Then he started telling me how it was only for white people. I told him that I had met several non-whites through couchsurfing. His reply was that they all want to be white. I could see this conversation was going no where and I was getting upset, I have met some really great people through Couchsurfing. So I told him he had no idea what he was talking about. His reply, "You're right. Of Course you know everything, your an American!". And he stormed off.

It was by far one of the wierdest interactions I have ever had with a stranger. It was also the only asshole I met the whole time I was in KL, and it was 2 minutes after I arrived.

Comments

1

hahhahaha--yankee go home--should be the title
huong just got his ass chewed this week-
he said he missed u because u were like a shock absorber for john--lol
-john is on a mission to do a mail outs -lots of hand work
-hired someone and they quit in one week-there is so much work and if u dont know what ur doing --it can get pretty bad
anyway tried to take a couple of days off and fish Sd

but that didnt work out
cya greg doggie

  glen Sep 15, 2008 4:27 AM

2

you're right! cambodian # vietnamese.

  Kanha Nov 28, 2011 2:52 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.