Existing Member?

GPzMike Abroad

t+ 34 mekradi (wednesday)

HAITI | Friday, 25 March 2011 | Views [231] | Comments [1]

See? I'm studying my creole. I actually spoke a few complete sentences this morning while ordering my breakfast. Probably not grammatically correct, but enough that the proprietor of the hotel smiled at me. I'm trying, dammit!

The ocean is very active today. Went for a swim before breakfast and the waves are flowing in very fast and are much larger than I've seen them before. Certainly 6' tall as they crash in. But way the waves crash make it hard to body surf them. I can sorta ride one, but it's really only pushing with it's momentum rather than 'riding' it.

It was nice to grab a chair from the yard and go sit in the surf while reading. The water rushing in and swirling around the chair and my feet. Sometimes I had to lift the Kindle up to keep a particularly good wave from splashing up on it.

Today is my last full day. I leave tomorrow. It's about 10am so I'm going to load up on the bike and head on down the road to see what's out there. But with the ocean as it is today I don't think I'll even bother bringing my snorkel gear with me. Just a reconnaissance mission. It helps that there is no working internet to keep me here, too. It has been down pretty much the entire time I've been here, dammit. It's not a problem with the hotel - their wireless is working fine, but there's just no internet out there. He's been calling the company in Port-au-Prince but they haven't been able to fix it yet.

Comments

1

Wow, just trying to picture you sitting in the surf with a Kindle in Haiti. You can't make this stuff up. Never turn your back on the ocean! : )

  Nick Mar 25, 2011 2:00 PM

About gpzmike


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Haiti

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.