Existing Member?

once upon a time...

Documentary Scholarship 2011 entry

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 4 June 2011 | Views [1600] | Scholarship Entry

London, Conrad, Poe, Shackleton, Herzog, Verne, Hemingway and many other story tellers and adventurers had captured my imagination with their voyages since im a child, i grew up among piles of yellow National Geographic magazines and VHS tapes, very much from this i went to study Biology later, then after finish a science career at the UNAM in México, i went to a short course about wildlife filmmaking at the EICTV/Cuba, there i knew i was born for filmmaking, specially about adventure and wildlife, and that fact bounded to my passion for narrative made me go along on story telling and leave pure science behind.

I´ve learn by my self the basics of photography, video, editing and screenplay writing, then i understood films aren´t in the equipment, but in the story and that means on mind, anyway i bought what i could at this moment, a beautiful hdv camera.
One day i was working in cultural affairs for the local gob while writing short stories, i was in charge of locate artistic projects running on very poor and violent areas in Mexico City using video as a tool to interview them, and in an interview with the mexican artist Lourdes Grobet (an amazing old woman wrestling photographer), ask me to work along with her crew in an artistic crazy project about crossing the Bering Strait, known i had video equipment and my passion for adventure, invited me to the expedition, she knew i haven´t done nothing but a team school short in Cuba, anyway she wanted me to do something unclear and free about her artistic adventure. Was during the voyage that magic happened and we could see the great potential of go beyond the intial vague idea, then i explored such amazing native village from the point of view i´d like to understand better: the human in the wild nature, a truly engaging local encounter.

I havent done much from that, some videos mostly for my friends weddings and as an underwater cameraman for independent and school films, i love diving, but i do live as a freelance producer for parties, events and concerts, at least i can travel a bit and meanwhile developing by my self to become a documentary film director. My video works have never been broadcasted and i have never been paid for doing them. I feel this is the way i have till now and this way means never stop learning, never stop looking forward new horizons and stories to tell, i really want to go to this mission, and go farther and deeper into human spirit and wild nature in team with a real Pro mentorship to find the better way to tell on frame a great story, this is just exact what i´ve dreamed all my life!

Another thing i see about this scholarship in the North East Arnhem Land is going back to my biological roots to seek with Trent O´Donnell and local native rangers a meaning story line. This threat from garbage deposited on Yolngu coast is very familiar to me in someway, because is a quite common problem in different areas from the mexican coastline that i have studied when i was a marine science student.   

WorldNomads Scholarship have inspired me, means a beautiful chance to achieve a precious dream since i was a kid among those piles of yellow magazines: a wild mission for real broadcasting.

Tags: #2011video, travel documentary scholarship 2011

About gowild


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.