Existing Member?

Take me to where the wild things grow____

Running with the Wolves

SWITZERLAND | Friday, 2 May 2014 | Views [342] | Scholarship Entry

They say its not the destination but the journey, who are they, I don't know. Maybe they are still on a journey.
I remember missing my train and having to catch a later train that particular day. Missing a train meant not arriving until late. I waited outside for awhile, the air was chilled as the sun dipped down. It was getting late but the train slowly pulled in.
On trips like these your backpack becomes your pillow, your blanket, your everything. The train pulled away and I loved that feeling, we are moving.
So here I was watching the darkness go by, little light shines on these tiny places, through grassy fields and over mountain ranges. I couldn't see much but I could feel it. I could feel the simple yet beauty that makes traveling to such places so amazing.
I thought about what brought me to this point, to this very moment. Things I had done to even start the process of packing so many days ago. I was realizing it started off as a spark, just a little twinkle of thought that I could travel with the best of them, even though I was alone. Maybe I was testing myself to see, am I strong enough, am I brave enough, because out here anything goes.
After some time, the train started to slow down, we had arrived. I got up and stretched before loading my backpack onto my shoulders.
I had arrived at Interlaken Switzerland, but what little I could see. I began walking, following a map to the hostel. I passed an old church. It was so quiet in the middle of the night here.
Then it happened, my attention was quickly focused. I had turned down a long dark road, there were no street lights, no sounds but the air blowing through the trees. I realized I was feeling frightened but not enough to scream just to stop. There a few feet away from me was something larger then a dog, something that moved very slow but precise. I stopped and analyzed how maybe my backpack would come in handy, if what looked like to me, to be a wolf wanted to play.
We stared though the darkness and in silence at each other for sometime, maybe a few minutes, maybe only a few seconds. Then out of nowhere a car came flying by, the wolf ran off, and I was left on the side of the road back in the dark, back in my mind.
I shared a moment with that wolf. He was me and I was him and I realized I was running like a wild animal running with the brave and the best of them. I was running with the wolves in this darkness. I was the brave and fearless and I was headed anywhere the world would have me.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About gone_girl_gone


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.