Existing Member?

40 Years Later 40 years later, the gnome takes a step out the door to pick up where the trip turned back many years ago.

Far more than medieval Imperial Japan

JAPAN | Friday, 27 March 2015 | Views [477]

Culture shift from Hawaii beyond the mere time zone, we got up at 6 to Kyoto dawn to see the peaks of temples and pagodas out the window. At 7 nothing is open . At 8 the 7-11 ATM and coffee machine is open, and corn dogs and donuts for the starving to eat outdoors in 35 degree weather on low bench tables with a close-up view of the huge vermillion itaro tori or gate to the Heian shrine. 

In the afternoon Kana started with Nanzen temple and up the mountains to show marvelous examples of different forms of joint Buddhism and Shinto of Japan, with rituals of hand washing demonstrated by the water basins and bamboo ladles at the entrances. There is beauty after beauty in the paths through gardens, walks through open temples with gold-painted walls for imperial princess, curved roof tiles and the more costly cedar bark roofs of special buildings, the streams and stone bridges. 

Ordering food has become easier, better, and reasonably priced as we found we have to,share the noodles and pancakes. The first great find was Mr Coffee San, the master chemist of coffee in a tiny shop, who produces his brew in glass flasks with an alcool burner, a marvel to watch. though a bit unusual, breakfast of potato salad, cabbage, plain small omelet, and perfectlain toast has really grown on us. We've added ramen, udon, curry, and best, Okonomiyaki, which is described as a pancake but rather like egg fu young with more vegetables and served as a single large round disk nearly an inch thick. 

Tags: buddhism, okonomiyaki, shinto, temple, water

 

About gnome-san


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.