Existing Member?

The Gett-setter

The Wary Girl's Guide to Traveling with Regret

TURKEY | Thursday, 17 April 2014 | Views [304] | Scholarship Entry

In typical Filipino fashion, I usually go around places with family members. Going alone would merit a scolding from grandmother or mother becoming overbearing. While it has its perks (money, safety because of group travel), I don't really get to experience things on my own.

My friends and I were presented with the opportunity to present our undergraduate thesis in an academic conference in Maltepe University in Istanbul. The typical Filipino thinks that the usual travel spots are China, America, France, Australia, Singapore. When I told my family about Istanbul, I was met with surprised faces. "Istanbul? But isn't that near the Middle East? Is it even safe there?"

Filipinos can get naturally suspicious of people, especially since pickpocketing and other petty crimes were commonplace in populous areas. But because it was such a good opportunity, my friends and I found ourselves in the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (aka one of the world's worst airports) with only our luggage and ourselves.

This was the first time that I had traveled to anywhere without family members. I thought of all the possible things that we can do - but my suspicions kicked in. The moment we stepped into the Istanbul Ataturk Airport, I somehow channeled my grandma and became suspicious of everyone. I was even suspicious of the nice lad (who was one of the organizers) who picked us up at the airport. Because of this, I was not able to take a short nap on the way to Maltepe University (an hour's trip from Ataturk) despite my tiredness from the almost 14-hour flight.

As the days passed, I noticed that I was beginning to relax. We found that the Turks were nice, hospitable folks. Despite some difficulty in English, they would accommodate us and make sure we had whatever it was that we needed. They always made sure to speak English whenever we were around. The organizers made sure that one of them picked us up to ensure us of the safety in Istanbul.

In the duration of our stay in Istanbul, I never once felt any hostility. Walking around Sultanahmet, exploring the Hagia Sofia, I was greeted with friendly smiles. I was able to enjoy Istanbul without being too scared of my surroundings.

Looking back, I wish I was more open and trusting. Not everyone was out to kill me. I wish I made more friends and smiled more. The next time I find myself in Istanbul, I definitely put some of my suspicions aside and pack my best smiles along with my travel gear.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About gettbaladad


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.