Existing Member?

Fleur Tonkin

Rome - Day 2

ITALY | Tuesday, 5 June 2012 | Views [627]

The Colosseum

The Colosseum

Today we saw lots of famous landmarks; but my favourites were the Colosseum and the Trevi Fountain. We started the day early and caught the train to the Colosseum stop. Coming out of the subway was so surreal – we walked out and the Colosseum was just right there across the street in all of its grandeur and glory. The queues were extreme though, so we decided to go to the Palatine first. It was still busy, but not too crowded because it was so spread out. There was lots to see, and many photo opportunities to be had!


From there we walked through to the Roman Forum which was much busier, but there wasn't as much to see there. We sat and had lunch in the shade next to the Temple of Venus and Roma with amazing views of the Colosseum. It took several attempts to get out (due to poor signage and one o the exits being closed), but once we did we walked towards the Il Vittoriano, which has a huge glass elevator (think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!). After ascending what felt like hundreds of steps we finally got to the base of the elevator. As we went up the views were great, but out on the roof – we could see everything! We took lots of photos, and saw lots of landmarks including the Colosseum, The Vatican and St Peters Basilica. When we were back at ground level we found a shop to buy some well deserved gelato; Nocciole (Hazelnut) is definitely one of my favourites!


By this time it was about 3pm, so we walked back to the Colosseum where the queues were much more maneagable (although the queue to buy tickets was still quite long); luckily we had purchased tickets online, so we went through quickly and then got audio guides which were quite good. I found the history really interesting, and could have stood and stared at the ruins for hours. Joan and I both agreed that we would have loved to see a reenactment of the fights that happened thousands of years ago. We headed back to the train station, and got off at the Barberini stop (near the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps).


By the time we reached the Trevi Fountian it was about quarter to 6, and whilst it was busy, we were still able to take lots of photos, and even got a couple right infront of it! We both threw coins in and made our wishes, and then headed towards the Spanish Steps.


The Spanish Steps were crowded and whilst they were good as a photo opportunity (with a nice background); as an iconic landmark, I didn't find them too impressive. After dinner at an entirely unimpressive restaurant (the fine print on the menu said that the pasta was frozen and not fresh!), we headed back to CVR. I still can't believe we saw so many famous, and amazing things all in one day!



Tags: il vittoriano, the arch of constantine, the colosseum, the palatine, the roman forum, the spanish steps, the trevi fountain

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.