Existing Member?

Thoughts and dreams of a forever loafer

Into the open-air lunatic asylum

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [210] | Scholarship Entry

Once upon a time, there was a magic shire, where witches wandered around casting spells and fairies sang enchanting ballads. But wait! Today you can find this fairytale setting in the beautiful Valley of Avalon, where a little fortress of serenity called Glastonbury lies. Yes, you might have heard of it because of the massive summer music festival that brings together thousands of people on the rolling hills around this small town. But on a quiet April morning I came there with no expectations, thinking that I was going to see another typical English town, however I left with many revelations. As I found out, Glastonbury is the perfect rendez-vous place for hippies, free spirits and misfits. The high street is truly unique, instead of mainstream clothing brands and countless fancy coffee shops, you can buy healing gems from The Speaking Tree, replace your potions at The Witchcraft Emporium or have a sweet coffee at the Rainbow’s End. I even stumbled upon a Goddess temple and, curious about the beliefs and lifestyle of the locals, I decided to go in. A priestess told me the tale of the Morgans, forest fairies that, according to legend, are still roaming around in the shape of crows, taking care of their beloved sanctuary. The lady also introduced me to some rituals like smudging the bad energy from one’s body or meditating in a circle of candles. Although I do not believe in this kind of worship, I was impressed by the deep faith the Glastonians put in nature’s elements and mythological creatures. I went on a long walk around the town, just gazing at shop windows and people, caught up in some sort of extrasensory experience. At one point a colourful van stopped next to me and a young hippie woman with dreadlocks asked me what the time was. After a short chat, she told me she had been living in the caravan for 3 years and she showed me her little children playing in the back. My reaction as a wannabe yuppie stuck in the perils of conventional society was: “Wow, I am either on some sort of LSD trip or just dreaming!”. As I walked away from her, I felt life here is very different from what me, you and most Europeans are used to. It is definitely more peaceful, spiritual and traditional than living in the big city, but it is also isolated and surreal. I don’t know what the best life style is, many might suggest a balanced mixture between the two, but I surely won’t forget the day on which a random trip transformed into a pilgrimage in the realms of Hippyland.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About foreverloafer


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.