Existing Member?

Flo(W)

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - You're a woman,right ?

INDONESIA | Thursday, 18 April 2013 | Views [118] | Scholarship Entry

You’re a woman, right?

It was on July, 6th 2012 when i feel so bored hanging around my hometown, Ende. The weather was too hot, up to 32°C. My body sweat, so as my mind. Thinking about a fresh air and new experience i might got, i decided to visit my dear friend, Lusia, in her hometown, Bajawa. The city is about 150 kilometers away from Ende, to the west of Flores Island. 3 hours by bus. Not my first trip there, but to note the difference, i decided to visit a traditional village located near the city named Wogo. A Local named it : Kampung Wogo. I ever heard the a story from my friend, Lusia, that the village is unique by its traditional home and megalith site.

An hour later, at 1 PM, i was sitting on the bus – next to the bus driver.

“Are you alone?” The driver asked me. Actually, it was a retorical question. This man, probably in his middle thirty, has already knew that i was alone. The message of his question is cleared. He tried to convinced that it’s weird for a young lady in her twenty something going to Bajawa alone by herself.

I feel upset but he had a reason for doing that. It’s not our culture as Flores people to let a young lady going around alone by herself. Women are the weakness one in our patriarch culture. Lucky me, i was in a good mood so the conversation keep going. We were talking about tourism and other things about Bajawa.

The next day, at 9 AM i was in Kampung Wogo, talking to a man who lives there named Petrus . The traditional village is located at the west side of Ngada Regency – around 17 kilometers to the west from its capital city, Bajawa. 20 minutes to go by local transportation. I went there by riding motorbike.

Petrus was explaining about Ngadhu the symbol of male ancestor and Bagha the symbol of female ancestor when i came up with the issue about woman in our culture.

“Why do our people think that women are weak and need to be protected all the time?”

He gave me the answer i could never forget,

“Look at Ngadhu, the male ancestor, symbolize with a wood that looks like umbrella. He is the protector. Look at Bagha – symbolize as a house. She is a home. A mother. You come from a mother, and you’ll do anything to protect your mother, don’t you? She is the source of life. Our people giving honor to woman on that way of thought."


The next day, i was at home, considering my self as 'a home'. I feel stronger – no question like “you’re a woman,right?” is going to upset me again. That's a promise to my self.





Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About flofransiska


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.