Existing Member?

World Tour The Idea of Travel, exploring other cultures, seeing the most vague corners of the world has been part of the human race. Here I am just following a dream.

Cairns and Great Barrier Reef

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 4 November 2007 | Views [1898]

Duuuude

Duuuude

Before getting to Cairns we stopped in Mission Beach for a few hours, but this small town is mostly a stopover for tourists that want to skydive or do white water rafting. Apart from that, the beach is miserable compared to Sydney or Byron Bay. We left in the night bus for another hour to Cairns.

Already in Cairns the shuttle from our hostel “The Serpent” picked us at the bus station. Most hostels will pick you up, however they will definitely not drop you off anywhere.

The hostel was very nice, clean beds, hot showers with pressure, cheap and tasty food for dinner and the bar had events every night.

Cairns is supposed to be the diving capital of the world for the amount of tourists that come every year to dive the Great Barrier Reef. The reef is some kilometers out in the ocean from the north east coast of Australia. It goes from south of cairns until past the north east coast of the country. It is the largest reef in the world; however with the amount of people diving every year, the reef is dying. Within a few years there will be nothing left if the government does not put a limit into it.

Considering those facts I could not miss the opportunity to dive there, in that case I took the advantage to book a diving course to improve my qualifications to advanced diver in a three days live aboard.

One day of rest between getting to cairns and going diving was enough. David and Leon both left to Singapore and I left for the live aboard after two nights in Cairns. The company was Deep Divers Den. They own two boats, a small one called Reef Quest which does the day dives and takes the passengers to the large one; Ocean Quest ( the live aboard).

The first day, the smaller boast takes us to one of the reefs in the Great Barrier and there we do one dive. After a great lunch, the people staying on the Ocean Quest (larger boat) transferred and were allocated into the rooms. The rooms were quite spacious; each dorm room had two bunk beds, which were extremely close to the ceiling. Getting down from the top bed and not hitting against the ceiling was a morning and night pee task.

With the luggage in place and beds allocated a new briefing and a new dive; however this one was already part of the course. After the dive we had some time to rest and have dinner. The meal wasn’t as great as on land, but good enough when you are suffering from diving munchies. About one hour after dinner our last dive for the day, but now it was night, one light in the stern illuminating the water from the top and one line going into the water from the bow were bringing a mass of fish life. The light brought many small fish, which would attract larger fish, ending utmost in sharks. If it wasn’t enough, one of the instructors was throwing chunks of meat in the water. The sharks would wrestle for the feeding almost biting each other.

We had our briefing and suited for the dive. Going into the water at night for the first time is like skydiving, blood rushes into the veins as you jump into the water looking at the sharks circulating the light above.

Once in the water the darkness towards where the torch doesn’t point disguises the life underneath. Visibility is as far as the light goes, wither from the torch or from the boat light. The life underwater is much like above, many animals go to sleep; turtles, rays, and some other fish are under rocks and mostly without moving. If you light them, they will wake up and most likely be eaten by one of the night predators, such as sharks and barracudas. Another interesting fact is that most fish cannot see to far at night, when we point the light at a small fish, a larger one will rush into that fish hunting for its meal.

The dive was done, but it was great for a first day. A desert followed the dive, since dinner was not enough for the big eaters.

Sleeping in a boat after diving the whole day is much like a baby sleeping in a cradle. It cannot get better then this.

The first dive was at 6:30 in the morning, whoever was doing that dive had to be on the deck at 6 am for the briefing. Waking up at 5:50 wasn’t a problem since I was already sleeping around 9:30. Another dive for the course, but now it was a deep dive. Because we were at 25 meters under sea level, some facts differ from shallow dives. The instructor took a tomato, a water bottle and an egg with him; the water bottle was almost flat because of the water pressure, the tomato was brown instead of red (red is the first color to dissipate), and the egg yolk was used for our own entertainment, again because of the water pressure, the yolk does not break apart and we could play with, passing it to each other.

To be continued...

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.