Existing Member?

Tempting Fate in Transylvania

Scari?oara Cave

ROMANIA | Monday, 25 May 2015 | Views [2266] | Comments [6] | Scholarship Entry

None of my organs were where they should have been; my heart was in my mouth, my testicles had retreated into my abdomen, and my stomach was threatening to abandon my body altogether – if only it had somewhere to go.

It was 2006, and as my peers back home prepared for prom I was anticipating my own date with destiny. I was in Western Romania with four friends on an end-of-school sabbatical, a ten-day minibus tour of Transylvania arranged by my housemaster and an alumnus working out of Timi?oara, and for all I knew I was very probably about to die.

We were half-way up a mountain on a dirt track that didn’t seem fit for purpose. As we tried desperately to spread our weight evenly across both sides of the minibus we watched in horror as the mountainside encroached to the left and simultaneously disappeared to the right. We should have stayed in Oradea, with its thermal spas, or Beiu?, with its cattle market; instead we were bound for Scari?oara Cave on the scariest Geography field trip of my life. Live or die, it would surely be my last.

Mercifully, it was more than worth the mortal panic. Home to one of the largest underground glaciers in the world, Scari?oara Cave is located deep within the Apuseni Mountains of the Carpathian chain, accessible through a steep shaft in the rock. Weirdly, rather than remind me of Dracula (we were set to visit Bran Castle the following day, after all) I couldn’t stop thinking about another '90s monster movie: Jurassic Park.

There was something about the perimeter fence, the prevalence of ferns and the precarious metal staircase that recalled the fictional island of Isla Nublar. Or perhaps it was simply the prevailing sense of prehistory. Either way, it was exciting; as I descended the slippery steps, negotiated the obstructive outcrops and crossed an invisible thermal threshold that turned summer into winter I couldn’t help but feel like an explorer – even as we tailed tourists on a routine guided tour.

Although vast, only two chambers are open to the public. Underground and under-dressed, we entered the Great Hall, where the track divided into two wooden walkways leading around either side of the cave’s perimeter. At the opposite end we found The Church, a section of cave containing more than 100 stalagmites – some slender and misshapen, not unlike alter candles. The glacier didn’t just feel old, it felt primordial. Even at the relatively sprightly age of 3500.

It was jaw-dropping. My heart was now on my sleeve.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

Comments

1

Well that's unfortunate. My S-commas have come out as question marks.

  findinganeish May 25, 2015 10:18 AM

2

I think it adds to the sense of mystery!

  Siobhan Jun 25, 2015 4:54 AM

3

Congratulations for making the shortlist! The winners haven't been announced, but I hope you're one of them. I read your entry a few weeks ago, and it stayed with me (the sign of engaging writing). I shared it with my friend, and we've been calling you "the testicle guy". We are high school English teachers, and shared this and a few others with our students. They liked it too. My fingers are crossed for you.

  westcoastjen Jun 25, 2015 11:16 AM

4

(and by giving that nickname that you might not want, it was actually kind of a compliment--we thought you were descriptive without being crude, then I gave you a crude nickname, and, well... now I feel kind of weird)

  westcoastjen Jun 25, 2015 4:24 PM

5

My fingers are crossed for you as you are so very deserving. Very best of luck xx

  Lynne Neish Jun 25, 2015 8:02 PM

6

Thank you all for your comments. Westcoastjen, thanks in particular for your kind words. I'm more than happy to be known as "the testical guy", and I'm glad that you and your students enjoyed my entry. I thought yours was great, too!

  findinganeish Jun 27, 2015 6:45 AM

About findinganeish


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Romania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.