Existing Member?

What I wanna say about world

My Journey in Ranah Minang

INDONESIA | Sunday, 13 January 2013 | Views [718]

Pagaruyung Palace, the icon of West Sumatra

Pagaruyung Palace, the icon of West Sumatra

A moment of Eid Mubarak is an unforgetable moment for moslems around the world. They usually meet the whole family to celebrate that Eid mubarak together. Sharing nice story, sadness, great experience, and also forgiving the past mistakes each other, are the main event they are waiting for. And that kind of event also happens in my family.

For many years,we never celebrate Eid Mubarak together with our whole family, since the last happening at 2006. So last Eid Mubarak,in 2012, we decided to elebrate it in our hometown at Payakumbuh City, West Sumatra. And it was unforgettable journey of Eid Mubarak.

Meeting the whole family, sharing my story to cousins, are one of my ittenerary when I come to my hometown. But,actually,I have a big desire to go around, visiting many beautiful places in West Sumatra, while taking the great picture there. And guess what? It happened!

A day after celebrating the Eid Mubarak together with the family, my cousins and I start to go around, visiting the tourism objects surrounding my hometown. We choosed Harau Valley as the first destination. It’s an area which is surrounded by several big and tall edge. There is a guess house established not far from the edge, named Echo Guess House.

walk this up to reach the guess house

It consist of three traditional house of Minangkabau, very unique Guess House that I’ve ever seen. Those are established at the highland, so that we have to walk up the straight road that they had made for their visitor. The paddy fields spread out on the right and left side when we walked up. I have captured one of the house which is located not far from the cliff. It’s so beautiful. There is a plants above the entrance,makes the ambience so romantic.

beautiful guess house in Harau

Having take a picture there, we continue our tourism journey. We choosed to see the waterfall, still at Harau area. It’s about 1 km from the guess house. The waterfall was not as swift as usual. They said, it happened because of the dry season in our country. But I decided to captured it. And when I still enjoy capture everything, I saw a young man tried the outound challenge which is provided there. He tried to walk on a rope that stretched in front of the falls. And he did! I really wanted to try too, but we had to go home soon at that time. So, we choosed to go, find some food to lunch, and back to grandma’s home.

the outbound challenge near the waterfall

We visited other places on the next days, enjoying the view, and also shopping for the souvenir. But the thing I’ve been waiting when I stayed there was visiting Pagaruyung Palace. Many people said that this palace is the icon of Minangkabau. This palace is a big traditional house of Minangkabau, which is a replica of the original palace in a 14th century. They put a wood carvings of Minangkabau on the outside walls, with the roof made by fiber. In 2007, this palace was destroyed by fire. Then, the local government  decided to build it again. The construction is still going on untill this time. So that, the visitors are only allowed to look at from the outside, not to entrance the building.

Pagaruyung Palace, the icone of West Sumatra

After taking a picture at the ouside building, we continue our journey towards a lake, named Singkarak. It is the second largest lake in Sumatra island, after Toba Lake in North Sumatra. This lake has a beautiful background which consist of three mountains, Marapi, Singgalang, and Lantik mount. If we ttravel from Padang Panjang to Sawah Lunto, then we eill cross the lake’s side. The unique side is, this lake a wavy water, unlike the other lakes. So for people who first visited, would have thought this is the sea.

The Singkarak offers beautiful view surrounding it

Actually there are still some places that I really want to see in West Sumatra, my hometown. Unfortunately, I have to back to my activity in Surabaya. I didn’t have much time to stay there and explore any other beautiful places, because I just had few days of holiday. But, I think it was really exciting experience. Well, that experience convinced me that God must be at good mood when he created Indonesia. Big Smile...

About fiktaria

at Gresik city

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.