Existing Member?

Goodman's Travels

Shanghai China

CHINA | Tuesday, 28 May 2013 | Views [462]

The Bullet

The Bullet

We have always liked visiting Beijing and this time it was no different. Our time there was eventful and we hope to return in the near future. In leaving Beijing for Shanghai we had to catch the Bullet train from Beijing South Railway Station. We made our way from the hotel to the station without fuss and arrived at the station to find it was one of the most magnificent railways stations you could wish for. Every thing was modern, spic and span. There was not smoking in any part of it. The signs for departing trains and general information signs were also plentiful and modern. The train was spectacular. Sleek, modern, smooth, excellent food and of course, very quick. Around 300klmh was the norm. The journey was uneventful and we arrived in Shanghai on time (of course).

We then made our way from Shanghai station to the sub-way line where we figured out how to get to the backpackers accomodation at the Blue Mountain Honqgou Youth Hostel. It was quite a distance from the main railway station but we found without too much trouble once we learned how and where the subway went. The Youth Hostel was fine. It was cheap. We are on the second floor. The people were freindly and helpful. There were several good restaurants within walking distance. The one next door became our favourite as they served cold beer at very cheap prices. Allan discovered the little stall next door had good dumplings and egg-bread for breakfast. Shanghai turned out to be a very user-freindly city. It is western in many ways but very chinese as well. We found the travel in and around the city very easy. The sub-ways and buses were cheap and easy. We especially liked The Bund area in the city. In our wanderings around Shanghai we visited a number of galleries and of course the Shanghai Museum.  The district where we stayed, Hongquou, had a few good places to eat but there wasn't much to see and do there. You have to catch the subway to most of the sights. Thats not a problem as their transportation system works well and easy to use.

Shanhai was the last stop on our Asia on a shoestring tour of 2012. It was a good way to finish our holiday and we have fabulous memories. We both agree, Lhasa Tibet and the associated travel was the most memorable. Its a fascinating place.

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.