Existing Member?

Rail pass to zones 0-6

Homestay.ch

SWITZERLAND | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [229] | Scholarship Entry

It is another warm spring evening, but this time it's facing the Alps! I am sitting in a fairytale... I mean – we are sitting next to a little church under blooming trees on top of one of wooded Swiss hills. Only half-way on my spontaneous trip and today me and my friend are just outside Zurich.

The city itself is bursting with great atmosphere, expensive cars (seriously, it's like European version of Dubai with top-class cars such as Maseratis and Porsches on almost every corner), full of energy and class it inhabits many luxurious lifestyle seekers. But we are here - eating lunch in a meadow overseeing Lake Zurich and its surrounding snowy Alps, accompanied by local cats who apparently are enjoying the fresh air as much as we are.

By meeting our hosts, with whom we spend only three but unforgettable days, it becomes more than obvious why Zurich once and a while gets appointed with titles like 'The best city to live in' and the 'The best quality of life'. We wake up when we fell like it in our friends house in Wallisellen, a beautiful and quiet residential area close enough to the capital not to make us worry about getting there on time. The house is a converted mansion/student house shared by six best friends who named it 'Homestay' carving it on a board, and yes, they do also have a cat.

We spend morning on massive garden terrace drinking morning coffee or two, partly listening to music partly to bird songs, and just talking to our Swiss friends until we get ready to head down to the city. By 12 o'clock we are already roaming around the city, comparing the interiors of churches, feeding birds next to the lake, discovering smaller streets with more authentic shops and lots of other Swiss eye-candies. Having visited 'Conditorei Schober' recommended by locals as the best place for cakes and absolutely stunning interior, we also wander in more brain-feeding places like the famous Kunsthaus, which conveniently on Wednesdays is for free. When the evening comes we are back on the terrace but now coffee is replaced by a different liquid, the music is louder and conversations deeper.

Whether you are in London, Riga, or places like this nearer to nature the time unavoidably flies and you resist the tiredness unwilling to end another day of your life. Holidays are always labelled as some of the happiest days of your life, but Zurich for me got another greater label present in my life – 'I am living in a movie'.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About euroland


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.