Existing Member?

Pilbara Dreaming

Bewildered by Rome

ITALY | Wednesday, 20 May 2015 | Views [408]

I have a lot of content hanging around from my 2007 trip to Europe. We’ve gone from London to Rome. There are plenty of awesome and historical places in Rome, I remember seeing them and being amazed, but my 24 year old self got stuck on the cultural differences. Here’s what you can expect.

In another internet café… Tim is currently having trouble finding an 'at' symbol on this keyboard. And the ' button is up next to the 0, not near the enter. If I wrote like usual, it would look like, 'This keyboard is giving me the shits, itàs crap.' See? And the question mark is right next to the ', and not near the shift. If you do that, you get _ , which is where the ? and the ' are. I get the feeling they switched stuff around just to be different.

They drink a lot of mineral water here, in the place of watery water. We picked it up a couple of times, due to the language barrier. Its water, but it TASTES. There's something inherently wrong with it. I don't feel like I’m being healthy and drinking water, I feel like I’m being bad and drinking soft drink. But we've paid for it, so we have to drink it. A little bit of gin and lemon, and I’d be grand, but seriously out of pocket.

Soft drink is just as expensive as beer here. It’s 5 euro for a bottle of Pepsi, 5 euro for twice as much beer. Somehow, I don't think they got the point.

I am also sick of bread based foods. I have had enough pizza. Don’t even let me look at a sandwich. The pizza here is really good, but when you go to restaurants you get two choices: pizza or pasta. I wouldn't complain, and get the pasta, but the serving sizes here are ridiculously small. I ate my risotto in about 10 bites the other day. We're going to a Chinese restaurant tonight, when we saw it in the street we wept.

There is a fridge in our room. It's only good for keeping things that are already cold, cold, though. It doesn't make warm things cold, just marginally cooler, and it warms up the room more than it cools things. Our milk lasted 2 days in there. We were trying to sava da money and eat breakfast in, but Tim got muesli and gloop this morning.

Update on the toilet situation: there are toilets here, but I really don't have to worry too much about using them. I sweat out my fluids before they have a chance to get down into my bladder.

We like to stay in our room in the morning, in the cool of the air conditioning, then go out when the heat breaks, or we get too hungry to stay in any longer. Then we eat, wait for it to get a little cooler, go see some things, get back to the room all sweaty and gross, and fall asleep! It's a 3 shower a day kind of thing.

Who am I? I’m a craft and DIY blogger located in Perth, Western Australia. I want to share my 2007 travel posts with the world, but they don’t fit into my bog niche so I decided to post them here! A lot of the stuff is still relevant, and hopefully you’ll find it both amusing and helpful if you’re planning a trip to Europe. You can check out my blog, Eryn_With_A_Y here.

Tags: baackpacking, europe, food, internet, rome, travel

About eryn_with_a_y

Bio Pic

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.