Existing Member?

Catching a Moment, Learning lot of Cultures

Catching a Moment - Blangkon at Americans

INDONESIA | Thursday, 18 April 2013 | Views [179] | Scholarship Entry

Have you ever heard Indonesia? Not many people know about the existence of my beloved country. Most of them know more about Bali, one of the islands in my country. "How could they know more about the part is in the country without knowing that there is a part where it is?". That is the glimpse of the question that crossed in my mind when I met one of my friends who participated in the campus exchange. He has American citizen who lives in Georgia, the part of American state. We became friends in just a short time, because we have a common activity we love outdoor activities like traveling and backpacker. In short, we have a cup of tea to telling about our culture each other. He is interested about the culture of my country, Indonesia. In Malang, there is any Cultural Festival which is held every year since 2006. This festival is held every year to celebrate the anniversary of Malang on April 1st. And I think it is a chance to show the culture of Indonesia exactly Malang. I invite him to go to the Cultural Festival is called "Malang Tempo Doeloe". The Festival’s concept is nostalgia and discovering heritage. It has an appeal event for the tourists, both domestic tourist like me and foreign tourist like my friends. Before going to the festival, we were agreed to wear batik Indonesia. The other reason we wear batik because we want to feel like at the earlier times. For a moment, my eyes stared at my friend who wear batik and do not forget to wear head cover, called “Blangkon”. Along the way, he never let blangkon that already he was wearing before. Starting from the place where show historical city of Malang in the past, a parade of ancient cars and motorcycles, watch a variety of traditional arts such as Bantengan (such as kind of performances which showcases ludruk or puppet show), taken the pictures with the decor of a typical ancient in the past up to taste a wide variety of Malang typical foods such as fruit crisps, potato chips, crisps tempe, lontong balap, lontong kupang, nasi pecel, bakso bakar or grilled meatballs, a cane juice or sari tebu in Indonesia and cotton candy known as gulali. Which are stalls that make these foods are traditionally good views of the process and the tools used are different from usual. We dissolved at the festival until we realize it was already at 10 pm. This is an unforgettable experience for me. It was my pleasure to having him as my transboundary friend who want and learning about culture in my country.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About erniambarstories


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.