Existing Member?

Travel Blog If it feels good - DO IT!!

Bingo-bus to Mendoza

ARGENTINA | Saturday, 10 January 2009 | Views [1409] | Comments [2]

I have already briefly described South American long distance buses as being quite luxurious and well equipped compared to many European bus journeys I've been on. We thought our last 12 hour plus journey in the continent deserved a blog of its own.

Having learnt a few tricks the hard way we already had our tickets – top tip: buy your onward ticket when you arrive in a town (except for El Bolson). We didn't have any food though so I went off looking for anything vaguely healthy and/or vegetarian. I managed a salad, a few empanadas and a sandwich which was a C plus grade I reckon. We jumped on the bus and were given the back seats – down side the engine is louder but there is no guilt when you put your seat all the way back. The bus host (is that what they're called?) was the same chap who we had had on New Years day heading to El Bolson.

First up a glass of fizzy orange and an alfajor. Perfect.Dinner consisted of potato salad, rice salad, ham & cheese, pork matambre and bread. Very tasty and quite healthy too.

Movie number 1 – Wild Hogs, a stereotypical middle-aged road trip movie. Very low maintenance and quite funny with a great cast.

Movie number 2 – An american football movie with “the rock” about setting up a team for young offenders. Really quite entertaining and based on a true story.

Movie number 3 – Shattered, a disturbing tale with Pierce Brosnan as a merciless kidnapper. Good thriller.

At about 6 or seven hours into the journey the hostie gave out bingo cards to all the passengers. And, never have I heard its like before, we all played bingo on the bus. It was great craic. OOOOOchenta y oooooooocho!! The massively obese man beside me at the back won, screaming BINGO at the top of his voice and was presented a pack of playing cards for his skill.

We were woken up with a coffee and and another alfajor about an hour before arrival and at 9.30 stepped off the bus into sunny Mendoza.

(company: Andesmar)

Tags: bingo, bus

 

Comments

1

Read with interest your comments on travelling by bus in Argentina and your unpleasant visit to Mendoza.
I visited Mendoza back in 2002 after travelling over from Santiago with a prepaid bus ticket and had a pleasant stay. So much so that I will visiting again with my daughter in April, so hopefully the bikes have improved.
Where did you buy your bus tickets and did you have any dramas as I plan to travel from Santiago across Argentina to Florianopolis (Brazil) and back to Santiago via Buenos Aires with my daughter.

  Ken Jan 26, 2009 7:24 PM

2

If all posts were as interesting as this, the web would be such a better place. Thank you very much.Keep up the good work and I will surely return soon.

  Bing Jun 17, 2009 2:34 AM

About eoghancito


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.