Existing Member?

Sweet Home Guatemala My experience volunteering and reporting in Antigua -Guatemala.

A bit of music

GUATEMALA | Tuesday, 26 May 2009 | Views [1225]

The stoves like the one we are building with Carolina, have a chimney that canalize the exit of smoke and use a small quantity of wood. We have already built the half of the stove, after the cement blocks that support it, come the bricks, I cannot achieve to put any in the indicated angle, so better I return to mix cement.

From yesterday I’m showing Carolina, chilean ways to say some things. So now we are going to work every day “A la quebrada del ají”, that means to a distant place and we do things “Al tiro” or quickly.

In the evening, with the stove almost ready when I return to Antigua I meet Juan Salvador Galich, to talk about the musical movement in the city. With his long hair until the end of his neck and a beard without moustache, he is the percussionist and vocalist of the band La Raíz. A group of latin sounds, but that gathers influences of jazz and rock. He explains to me that still in Antigua it is not possible to live only of music, in fact he is employed as a guide at a tourism agency. But slowly in the city you can see a movement of bands friends to each other. One of the fundamental instances to develope that movement is the Open Mic, every Wednesday night in the Rainbow Café. He explains to me that there anyone can register and present an artistic number. We say goodbye and he invites me to listen the music of his band in Internet, when I do it, I remember one of the things that he said to me and agree with him: "With few instruments, it is possible to make a great musicón".

Spanish:

Un poco de música

Las estufas como la que estamos construyendo con Carolina, tienen una chimenea que permite canalizar la salida del humo y utilizan poca madera. Ya llevamos prácticamente la mitad. Luego de los bloques de cemento que la sostienen, vienen los ladrillos, no consigo que ninguno me quede en el ángulo indicado, así que mejor vuelvo a mezclar cemento. Desde ayer me he dedicado a enseñarle a Carolina dichos chilenos. Así que ahora vamos a trabajar todos los días “A la quebrada del ají”, es decir a un lugar lejano y hacemos las cosas “Al tiro” o rápido. En la tarde, con la estufa casi lista y de vuelta en Antigua me encuentro con Juan Salvador Galich, para que me cuente cómo es el movimiento musical en la ciudad. Con su pelo largo hasta el cuello y una barba sin bigote, él es el percusionista y vocalista de la banda La Raíz. Una agrupación de sonidos latinos, pero que recoge influencias del jazz y el rock. Me explica que aún en Antigua no se puede vivir sólo de la música, de hecho él trabaja como guía en una agencia de turismo. Pero de a poco se está conformando una movimiento de bandas amigas. Una de las instancias fundamentales para que se desarrolle este movimiento, es el Open Mic, que se lleva a cabo los miércoles en la noche en el Rainbow Café. Me explica que ahí cualquiera puede inscribirse y presentar un número artístico. Nos despedimos y me deja invitado a escuchar la música de su banda en Internet, cuando lo hago, recuerdo una de las cosas que me dijo y le encuentro toda la razón: “Con pocos instrumentos, se puede hacer un gran musicón”.

About enrique_nunez_mussa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.