Existing Member?

Ramblings of a Clueless Student

5 Must Do Things in Oxford, England

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 9 September 2011 | Views [713]

Here's 5 things that the City of Dreaming Spires has to offer!

1. Take a walk.

As the name suggests Oxford is full of beautiful buildings, many belonging to the University. So take some time to walk around, take little cobbled streets and you'll be amazed what you can find. The Radcliffe Camera is probably one of the most beautiful. There are lots of people offering walking tours if you're too scared you'll miss the best bits! You'll also get to learn a lot about Oxford's rich history.

While you're walking around make sure you get a good look at Oxford's colleges and college grounds. These majestic buildings are dotted around the city centre. It's worth paying a few pounds to see the old and beautiful rooms and halls hidden behind the college walls. Christchurch College often proves to be most popular due to it's hall being transformed in the the Great Hall for the Harry Potter films. It also boast huge grounds which are perfect for having a riverside picnic.

2. The Museums.

Oxford has lots of really interesting Museums showcasing things from shrunken heads to works of art. My two favourites are the Ashmoleon and the Pitt Rivers. Which hold some incredibly interesting artifacts from all over the world. You get to see inuit clothing and Ancient Chinese art. They are really worth a visit.

3. The Pubs.

There are so many good pubs in Oxford serving local ales and great food. Jericho which is a short walk from the city centre has many old and new pubs which have a lively and laid back atmosphere. It's lovely to spend an evening in one of the pubs, relaxing and chatting to friends. Many of Oxford's pubs have been visited by famous faces; The Turf Tavern more than others, this 13th century ale house has played host to Steven Hawkins as well as prime ministers and comedians.

4. Go Punting.

Oxford is surrounded by rivers so one way to explore is by boat and what better way than punting. This is an old tradition and brings up another rivalry between Oxford and Cambridge as to the end of the punt you stand (the other rivalry is the annual boat race). It's easy to hire a punt for an hour and explore the river at your own pace. It's great fun and interesting too!

5. Visit the Covered Market.

This old market is now full of unique shops. It's worth having a look around - watch bakers decorate elaborate cakes; visit local florists; have a coffee in the tearooms; and it's an ideal place to find a distinctive souvenir or gift.

Tags: #blogyourbackyard, museums, oxford, pubs, punting, things to do

About emily_mcd

At the Trevi Fountain.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.