Existing Member?

Worldwide Steps

Kuala Lumpur- Day 16- 19

MALAYSIA | Tuesday, 9 June 2015 | Views [317]

OK at the time of writing I am extremely behind with writing (around two weeks late).

 

We stayed in a double room in Travel Hub High Street. We were lucky and got one of the few rooms with windows. This was one of the best places we stayed purely for the bed, which was a raised bed with a sofa underneath.

Our first night we did very little as we arrived late however just round the corner from us was Petaling Street, a hectic (at night) market hiding shops, hotels and food beverage behind the stalls. Apparently known as "the Chinatown of Kuala Lumpur", and with the hetic-ness and lights it lives up to that name.

 

Next day we decided to explore the area around us and came across Kasturi Walk, another market however a lot smaller and calmer than Petaling Street. Here I first tried (and became hooked on) a rice dessert cooked in a bamboo and had some sort of caramel in it with coconut flakes on top.

Kasturi Walk was right next to Central Market Kuala Lumpur, a large shopping centre protected as a Malaysian Heritage Site.

 

Third full day we started getting into touristy activities, seeing the Perdana Botanical Gardens and around. Wondering around we ended up on a huge detour seeing the deer park and the beautiful Orchid Garden (think we may have seen them at the end of the season) before ending up back at our starting point. The flowers were absolutely beautiful and probably one of the greatest parts of the Botanical Gardens. A great view is of the skyscrapers reflecting on the lake while sitting on the jetty.

 

Our last full day we went to see Batu Caves. The giant statue outside of the cave was the main highlight for me, inside of the caves weren't much but the statue outside was an amazing view. Later we went to see the KL Tower and the Petronas Twin Towers in the late afternoon/ evening. We also found out that day that Kuala Lumpur has huge shopping centres in unexpected places. Getting off the metro at KL Sentral we took stairs thinking it would lead to the main station and found ourselves on a floor of the shopping mall Nu Sentral. Once we reached the Petronas Towers we took shelter in what appeared on the outside as a small shopping centre Suria KLCC.

We walked past the Petronas Towers at daylight on our way to KL Tower. We only went up to the glass viewing gallery and missed the open viewing gallery. During daylight the glass wasn't an issue at all however at night the lights from inside got a bit annoying. The view from the tower was amazing and through the super zoomed in binoculars we could even see the statue outside batu caves. Back down on the ground we went back to the Petronas Towers and at night they were specular lit up.


Sorry I've been so bad keeping up to date! Trying to get back on track.

Tags: botanical gardens, kl tower, kuala lumpur, petronas towers

About emiliepb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.