Existing Member?

Worldwide Steps

Pulau Pangkor- Day 7- 10/11

MALAYSIA | Thursday, 28 May 2015 | Views [514]

Originally we wanted to stay on coral bay but with only one accommodation we could see charging RM 150 per night (our budget being RM 110) when the guide warned us this place made up prices to whatever they felt like. We stayed at Nazri Nipah Camp on the touristy street Teluk Nipah. Although this area is known for being touristy we only saw the true extent of how manic this area can be on our last morning when we were leaving (Day 11). We had not realised our last days on Pangkor overlapped with Malay holidays.

 

Our first night we decided to get back into street food (previously sticking to small cafes and reasonably priced restaurants). We knew Malaysia apparently was harder for vegetarians and spicer so I was a little worried. Being so dark for a few bites all I could tell was it was a lot spicier than Thailand and soon realised our many attempts at asking no meat or fish was ignored/ misunderstood.

 

Our first full day we spent all day on Teluk Nipah's beach which was just beautiful. Although there are a lot of boats on the beach and in the water (and very little beach) it was pretty much empty. The water has been the clearest out of all we've swam in and although a little colder than Thailand one of the best we've swam in. Going as a couple this was our best to be able to swim together, because the beach was so thin it was no problem keeping an eye on our stuff. From the street you also get a great view at sunset as it disappears behind a nearby island. This is also where we spent all of our last day, although it was a little busier. Was scary thinking that this was our last Asian beach and likely swim of our trip, great to end on.

 

Second full day we spent sightseeing around the island. We started by viewing a historic boulder called Batu Bersurat. Famous for its carving of the Dutch East India Company and of a tiger. The tiger apparently a warning after a child was taken by one in 1743. From here it was an easy walk to Kota Belanda, a Dutch Fort. As we hadn't got a return taxi or got one for the day we made our way by foot along the island to the other attractions north of Pangkor Town. We went to Foo Lin Temple, a slightly comical Chinese temple (I might be wrong). There is no missing the gate decorated with giant brightly coloured animals, this being a continuing theme around the temple grounds. We bought incense and are currently trying to transport them. There's a pound with absolutely enormous fish which the guide says are arapaimas. The back of the temple is a garden up the hill with a mini great wall of China. We made our way up the hill and there's a boulder with big bright Chinese writing on it with views over the tinned roofs of houses and of the temple.

 

(Sorry for not writting in as much detail- I have fallen very behind :/ ) 

Tags: beaches, pangkor, temples

 

About emiliepb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.