Existing Member?

Adventures on the Loose

Cusco

PERU | Thursday, 10 September 2009 | Views [761]

I´m couch surfing with Darcy in Cusco. He´s pretty awesome. We´re eating anticuchos at my first Peruvian soccer game!

I´m couch surfing with Darcy in Cusco. He´s pretty awesome. We´re eating anticuchos at my first Peruvian soccer game!

The short version for now:

I got into Cusco around lunchtime on Monday and Darcy picked me up from the airport. I´m couch surfing with him, and he´s pretty awesome. He knows a tiny bit of English, but only speaks to me in Spanish, so I´m definitely getting better! I´ve seen most of the town and a number of parades and festivals, too. Yesterday (8th) was The Virgin Mary´s birthday, so there was lots of stuff going on around town. This morning I rode horses out to some ruins. I love Cusco!

Oh, one of the best things so far here is the dancing!  The music is great. Two nights ago, we went out and it started out as salsa and bachata and cumbia, then went to hip hop and reggae type music before switching to old US songs that you´d never hear in a bar at home. Finally there was some techno, at which point we left because I´ve not had much sleep and had a harder time adjusting to the altitude than I though I would. But, I think I´m ok now. I sure hope so since I´m leaving for the four day trek to Machu Picchu in the morning!

Off to meet Darcy for lunch.  Hasta luego!

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.