Existing Member?

What if?

Hopewell.

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 29 November 2007 | Views [1340] | Comments [1]

Em and I had been in The Hopewell Lodge for about an hour, this was enough time to decide that we wanted to extend the stay to 3 nights.  It was so peaceful here, partly due to its remote location we suspect; but there were none of the usual ‘backpacker’ people here.  The Hostel (more like a resort) was right on the shore of ‘Double bay’ one of the many bays that make up Marlborough Sounds, it seemed to have everything that Em’ and I wanted for a nice couple of days ‘away from it all’ kind of feeling; including Kayaking, walks, Gloworm, sea-side hot tub, local Green Tipped Mussel farms and even Oyster beds only a 500 mtr walk along the shore.   Em’ was set, she loves her Sea food, Mussels is one of her favourite.  That night we our ‘what should we do tomorrow’ chats, Kayaking in the afternoon came after Oyster collecting at lunch time; which in turn came after a lay-in so that was a plan.  The following day stuck to that plan and enjoyed a fun full day, followed by yet another Spa to discuss the next day.  That evenings meal was a break for both of us, Em’ and I were invited to join everyone for an evening meal of fresh Mussels that had been picked from the local Marine farm less than 2 hours previously; followed by the Fresh Oyster that we had collected that afternoon.  I unfortunately am not a fan of Sea food, but as mentioned earlier Em’ is; so it was a night off for her cooking and a night of being spoilt by ‘gorging’ on her favourite Seafood (Em’ says mmmmmmmmmmmm)   The following day was planned for a morning walk, afternoon Kayak and Spa, this plan was NOT stuck too at all.  We went on the walk, but it turned out to be a little further and harder than we had thought; so the afternoon Kayak was skipped in favour of a long soak in the Spa.  We walked to a point known as Pete’s Peak, about a 4 ½ hour return; sound easy?  What they don’t tell you on the signs is the gradient, all up hill for 2 ½ hours followed by an ½ hour of ‘climbing’ on the final section; then of course followed by the struggle down the whole way back to the hostel Spa.  After our lovely Spa and that evening’s meal, it was off to see the Gloworms; this was achieved by the massive hike of at least 50 mtr’s to see them.  The huge hike to see them was worth it, loads of them just a stones throw from the Hostel; all along the hedges within touching distance (no we didn’t touch them, or even try to)

Unfortunately we had to set off again, if we didn’t leave after the 3 nights here; I seriously think we would have stayed a very long time.  We are considering a return visit for a couple of nights later?  Nelson next we think?

Tags: Relaxation

 

Comments

1

Hi, My Lord you look really well both of you,it must be an amazing feeling to stand and look over the clouds like on your picture,i was amazed at the apple rock you could really see the stalk on the top of the left half its wounderfull how nature works, i could do with getting in that sparr, bet it would do my back a world of good.
Lovely to here your voice again on the phone, missing our chats, my mobile has been made redundant sorry we can not phone you it just will not connect, never mind i can see everything on journals always look forward to reeding them, you look great on the beach Andy plenty of room to play and enjoy.
Grandma sends her love to you both, she was so exited over the prezy's you have sent her,she has shown everyone and anyone who was passing or called in to see her, she is going to put a letter on for you as a thank you will add it at a later date,
Anyway love you mills and look forward to the next instalment of you adventures.
Love and Kisses,MUM,JOHN,JESS,BEN.

  Mum Nov 30, 2007 2:33 AM

About em-and-andy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.