Existing Member?

100 Days Of Summer When your home country is covered in feet of snow and -20 is the average temperature everywhere it's important to flaunt that you aren't home! This blog documents my adventures through the Pacific and South East Asia as I enjoy exactly 100 Days of Summer.

Hostel? You Mean People Live Here?!

FIJI | Monday, 20 January 2014 | Views [522]

Day Two of Fiji was so much fun. Angela, Stacey and I had a market day. We took a bus into Nadi, which was really nice. The bus was pretty busted up but the roads are nicely paved so it's smooth and very open. Oh by the way Angela and Stacey are my dorm mates. Angela is from the Caribbean and lives in the UK, she's been traveling for 13 months! Stacey is Welsh and lives in England, she's been traveling for 2.

When we were in town we went to a fruit market, craft market and super market. The craft market was amazing. It was shaded by these huge trees that a girl was telling me are "Monkey Trees". She also told me all about her life and how she loves math, wants to go back to school (they're on holidays) and grow up to be an accountant. She was absolutely adorable. I can't get over how nice everyone in this country is. Back to the craft market, which was full of some beautiful carvings, art and jewelry. I bought something for someone there, but I'm not saying who!

We got back to the hostel and had dinner, which is so good and so cheap! The hostel is very relaxed a welcoming with a young staff always willing to entertain. Every night at the hostel I hang out at Kava Time. Kava is a traditional Fijian drink used in ceremonies and celebrations. It's made from the root of a pepper plant ground into powder and mixed with water. Before you drink from the bowl you clap once and say "Bula!" which means cheers/hello and when you're done you clap three times. It honestly tastes like puddle water, but Fijians love it and spend hours drinking Kava. If it's really strong it tingles your mouth and throat (the more you drink the more it tingles). I keep meeting interesting people at Kava Time so I keep going back. It also helps you sleep which is nice because it's so hot!

Vanessa and Cayla get here tomorrow which is really exciting! I can't wait to see them!

*All titles will be quotes from that day, so I will do my best to explain them in that post. This one is from a volunteer that was part of a visiting group. He came over from his group and joined Kava Time.

Tags: fiji, hostel, kava, market, monkey tree, nadi

About elizabethkfmurphy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Fiji

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.