Existing Member?

Elephants, mangoes and ceylon tea: these are a few of my favourite things The adventures (and misadventures) of an Australian in exotic and spiritual Sri Lanka

Colombo - a haven of chaotic calm

SRI LANKA | Saturday, 13 March 2010 | Views [1366] | Comments [5]

Colombo is a confusion of districts, traditions and traffic. Taking a tuktuk across town, despite any motion sickness, I see a dizzying display of temples, churches and mosques. Any serenity brought by such overt spirituality is soon quashed by the sound of violent beeping rising from the exhaust fumes.

My house is like the jungle in captivity. Leafy plants and tropical flowers sprawl into my living room. Designed by a student of legendary architect Geoffrey Bawa, the open-air layout and natural light evokes a sense of meditative whimsy. I feel like a fairy hopping around a moss cave. My bedroom looks out on the garden and the odd lizard sometimes pays me an impromptu visit.

Stepping into the street feels like falling into a bowl of warm soup. The air is hot and viscous, cushioning my body in sweat. Colourful saris float by and lingering eyes stare at the recent addition to their neighbourhood. I sweep my eyes across the landscape, taking care not to meet everyone’s gaze.

Crossing the street is an adventure in itself. Designated crossings are no more than yellow lines painted on the bitumen. Timing is everything! Step in front of a motorbike and you’ll get cleaned up! Pedestrians walk slowly across while the vehicles slide around them like tetris pieces.

Not everyone is always so lucky though. On the road from Colombo to Panadura, a bloodied man lay very still on the road. He had been hit by a runaway bus. The driver did not stop for fear that bystanders would bash him and set fire to his bus. Rather, the witnesses chased the bus cursing in Sinhala and throwing bricks, stones, rocks through the windows with great force.

The sight hit me with a solid reminder. This oasis called Sri Lanka has a recent past. The very diversity that renders the country so appealing is the very hubris that brought the country so much pain.

Comments

1

How I love your vivid imagery Elise......,it is so real and evocative. Enjoy the wonderful experience with caution (it's your mum talking now). Reading about your adventures gives me a real sense of what life must be like there and it is almost as good (but not quite),as living those experiences with you. I will be waiting in anticipation for the next instalment. Love G

  Gina Mar 16, 2010 10:16 PM

2

Looking forward to following the adventure ... stay safe my cuz xxx

  Suzanne Mar 20, 2010 10:26 AM

3

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with all of us. You are just amazing. Enjoy what you do and and stay safe, and watch out for any runaway buses. Take care honey and lots of love....aunty Mena. x x

  Mena Librandi Mar 20, 2010 7:05 PM

4

Sounds unreal Elise, I love the way you describe everything, it just sounds so exciting! Keep the blogs coming - I'm looking forward to the next one already!

  CGG Mar 23, 2010 8:34 AM

5

Hey elise_beacom,

We really liked your story and have featured it this week on the WorldNomads Adventures homepage so that others can enjoy it too.

Happy Travels!
World Nomads

  WorldNomads Mar 31, 2010 9:16 AM

About elise_beacom


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.