Existing Member?

Central American Adventure

Mojito Maestro

NICARAGUA | Friday, 12 December 2008 | Views [1026] | Comments [8]

Still in Granada and doesnt look like i'm moving very soon, in fact I hardly move at all these days except from hammock to bar to book to computer to market. I have a bar job in Hospedaje La Libertad in return for free accommodation and some food. This is allowing me to save some cash for my next move, whatever that may be. The hostel is in a big old colonial house, another one, with high ceilings, tiled floors and a red tiled roof. It has a lovely central courtyard with trees, plants and a tinkling fountain. Arranged around this are hammocks, chairs, a big mound of comfy stuff and my bar. It is my bar, i have been told so. I am the only one that works in it and the manager helps me out on happy hour nights. She likes a drink and we do so behind the bar. Great. We serve mojitos, cuba libre, tequila and beer and are never very busy so I just chat to the punters, listen to travel tales and shake my cocktail maker. Hard work. Went out for post work dancing the other night got my purse nicked which is something of a bummer but my own fault, was quite nice having a bunch of guys running after the young perp on my behalf though.

The lack of more imaginative punctuation other than full stops and commas is due to the fact that everything on this keyboard isnt where it says it is so sorry if it doesnt have indications of excitement like exclamation marks etc, here is the best of what I have . . . =+-__)]}"'?/(*&^%$#@!

I spent the weekend up at Laguna de Apoyo which is one of the most beautiful i have ever been and I want to take you all there. It is a large volcanic crater rimmed with thick lush jungle and filled with the purest, clearest water in Central America. The laguna is thermally heated so is warner than a swimming pool and thus great for night swimming, lying on your back in the water and star gazing. No noise except for the lapping of the water, birds and various chirping insects. The places I stayed at had canoes, inner tubes and floating docks that you could swim out to and sun yourself on.

We encountered another tarantula, this one is still alive and I have photos to document its size and well being. Check them out in the Laguna gallery.

On the Saturday I took a night tour of Volcan Masaya and peered into the dark smouldering hole to see glowing lava and imagine sacrifices of indigenous indians not so long ago. We then went into a bat cave and were led several hundred metres into the abyss. We were told to turn off our torches and were told in the pitch black that this underground chamber was where the indians held meetings and decided who would be sacrificed to the angry volcano gods. All this with bats whizzing past our ears, it was wicked. exclamation mark.

Still no set plans other than yoga tommorrow morning and er that's it.  I should really try and schedule in some Spanish revision into my busy schedule. Dont know where i'll be for christams or new year but my thoughts will be with you all.


Love Ele x

Comments

1

Wow! This is great. I'll probably dream about the laguna and the cave next time I'm sleeping :)

Have a lovely time and Christmas there!
(:

  Hannele Dec 12, 2008 10:03 PM

2

Hi Ele
Good to catch up with your news & see the photos....what an adventure...I keep thinking that this experience will really change your life & how you see the world....which sounds such an obvious thing to say but I cant help it!
Maybe its gd to be staying put in one place for a while...you will be able to make some more meaningful connections?!!!
Thinking about you ...
Love
maryxxxx

   Mary Dec 16, 2008 12:00 AM

3

i reckon you should make some meanigful connections with some more spiders!! and dad .... where spider's are concerned, it is not 'winging' ... it is pure 'survival technique' .......

ha ha ... i think you should sell lots more mojhitos and save up the money to by me a ticket to come out in the new year please!!

i made spicey prawn fajhitas and drank corona with lots of fresh lime last night with my next door neighbour, in celebration of your trip of course!!

school tommorow, better get lesson planning XX

  nats Dec 18, 2008 5:33 AM

4

Dearest eleanor, how wonderful to read of your awesome adventures.THE SWIMMING IN THE lAGUNA has made me almost unbearably envious !Shan`t be at office again til 29th Dec so will be missing - out on these epic tales of heroism. Oh just remembered will be able to read them at Rosie`s on sat 27th as will be in Sheff with her & Natty to see her Trapeze performance in panto which is very exciting !Will be back home on Sunday nite ( 28th).I shall miss you very much over those days... please stay safe & well as well as having ` experien `!! Thinking about you & sending all love & mildness. xxx PS There are 2 parcels flying their way to you at the Hostal. Hope you get them ok. And it was great being able to talk to you on `skype` on Saturday.So, now , beware of spidlers & too many tequilas ! xxx

  emso Dec 20, 2008 6:31 AM

5

Love you. miss you. just caught up with your tales. all these emails are making me think where I should go next. Might not be in Seville for as long as I though.
keep on writing.
have a drink for me on Christmas and new year. I`ll do the same.

LOOTTSS OF LOVE

anais

  anais Dec 21, 2008 7:24 AM

6

Hi paradise girl,
congrat's on getting a job and "settling in". that is definitely the one thing I missed in our trip and reason why I'm going to Spain. need to get stuck in somewhere and not feel like a passing shadow for a few weeks, but not real work either!! oh dear the middle class concerns....
laguna sounds heavenly, would be ideal for our '09 reunion if it wasn't so bloody far/expensive. maybe we can find a european laguna or you can befriend an air steward. thanks.
terry gives me the creeps, although he looked like he had fingernails, which makes it look almost cute.
merry crimbo my pal, enjoy the mojitos, and try to find a backpack dispenser for them.
lots of love

  manu Dec 25, 2008 1:35 AM

7

hello dear Eleanor,hope all`s well & 2009 takes- off with exciting & inspiring days.Please keep up-dating us with your `experien`. Was lovely to talk to you on Box Day ... Rosie`s trapeze perf was great.Am just off home now .. work done for another day & back on 2nd Jan.. Still thinking of you & sending love & mildness xxx

  EMSO Jan 1, 2009 4:14 AM

8

Hello dear eleanor, hope all`s well & 2009 will take- off at an exhilerating pace with great `experien`& lots to excite you & inspire you.Really wish I was there to share some of it. Am just off home now with work all done for another day.Not here tomo as Bank Hol... phew !! Nat & I loved seeing Rosie in Trapeze perf in Sheff & it was great to speak to you on Box Day. Still thinking of you & sending love & mildness xxx

  Emso Jan 1, 2009 4:16 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.