Existing Member?

Central American Adventure

In love with this place!

NICARAGUA | Sunday, 7 December 2008 | Views [823] | Comments [3]

Wow!  This place is so cool!  Have been studying Spanish in the ex-colonial town of Granada for the past week which has been really hard but I think I maybe just beginning to geddit.  My teacher has been very relaxed in our one on one sessions and spends as much time cracking the joints in my hands and telling jokes as teaching me reflexive, preterite, exceptions and just plain silly rules. euggh!  I'm sure English isnt this complicated to learn.


My hostel has been great, an old spanish stlye house whose dorms are arranged around a palm shaded central courtyard with rocking chairs and hammocks to chill out in.  I have met some really cool people who I have eaten my way around the excellent restaurants with and danced merengue, salsa, bachata, cumbia and folkloric nicaraguense around bars under the stars - bliss.  Every night for nine nights the Virgin has been paraded down a diffent street followed by a band and all the local Nicas.  It ends in the central plaza where all the locals hang out, eat shaved ice dripping with pinapple syrup and yes, fire off mortars. I love this place so much, I could definately spend a lot of time here. It is a tourist town, with a lot of Gringo owned businesses but not to its detriment, not at all tacky.

Today I am heading to Laguna de Apoyo to spend the weekend relaxing, kayaking, sunning and studying.  Its going to be really hard!  On Monday will probably head to Isla de Ometepe in Lake Nicaragua for volcano hiking, more kyaking and horses.


Loads more photos on the blog.

Thinking of y'all - honest!

Love Ele x

Comments

1

Hi Eleanor
Great to read your blog and catch up on your adventures. We really admire what you are doing. Hope you enjoyed the weekend and that the mozzie bites are settling. Photos look great and the eyebrows seem to be in good shape! By the way, I (Julie) am with you on the spider issue and I don't think for one second you are exaggerating in terms of its size!
Good luck with all that you are doing - we'll be thinking of you.
Love
Julie and Jim Maxon (Leeds)

  Julie and Jim Maxon Dec 8, 2008 10:03 PM

2

hello pal face,
great to catch up on your stories! it all sounds fun, hard work, exciting and very elbo kind of place.
how are the eyebrows? I've given up on mine, and on most of the rest as well, have to be covered up around these parts (of the body and the world) anyway so...
In China now, this place is crazy and exciting and quite hard work but very rewarding when you can make yourself understood, get fed, or read a street sign. The little joys... people are gawping a lot, in a fascinated/curious kind of way. it's unnerving but most of the time you can get a smile if you wave.
the count down has started, can't believe it. For Sean in particular, as for me, I'm heading to Spain! Avoidance all the way;-) trying to get a wwooff place in Andalusia.
When are you going to Tobago?
I'm jealous and admiring of your adventures, keep posting, missing you and the girls, see you in Blighty in...
stay clear of the spider monster (I have been lucky only saw a mammoth one running under our stilt bungalow once).
Manu.xx

  manu Dec 9, 2008 3:13 PM

3

Still keping busy as a courier for James. He has managed to persuade me to go to his carol concert (how about that). He assures me that they will only play 4 carols all evening. One of the joys of travel, particularly at christmas time is that the carols are different. You can check out that point for me. Just doing a bt of philisophy on the OU. I don't know if you have ever done any but have come to the conclusion that they argue over some etraordinary silly points. I know you think that should be up my street but even I have a boredom threshold when it comes to debating.
Due to the lack of winging I assume that you are less bothered by the local fauna. If this is so, long may it last.

  Dads Dec 11, 2008 3:23 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.