Existing Member?

Dominican Ears

Another state down. YEAH!!!!

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | Thursday, 20 April 2006 | Views [1155]

Well I have had a crazy couple of months since I last wrote. I went to the US for a conference. et up with my mate Lorraine and we tried again to cover more of those states no one goes to. Our aim all 50. We are up to 38 now!!!!

The audiological society was having a conference and I needed to be there to network and develop contacts and to milk the companies for freebies... you know the usual conference stuff. Had to try to buy as many necessities as possible.... always makes packing fun.

I packed a backpack inside a suitcase and took as little as possible... returned just on the weight limit!!!! thanks to God that Americans get a greater baggage allowance than the rest of the world.. one little inequality that I now enjoy!!!

Met up with Lorraine in minneapolis. The first night we stayed in a Motel six.... which we should have known was dodgy when we saw the police station has an actual office in the hotel!!! Just up the hall from us a room was sealed of with evidence tape... I am sure this was nothing serious.... but well we only stayed one night... oh we did stay there again later too... hmm maybe we need to be more careful.

We then headed to North dakota.... well another day another state!!! We drove up to St Cloud... for those who know TRisha Yearwood they will understand we visited and photographed a bus to St Cloud... For the rest of you try some country music...

We went up to NOrth Dakota visited the big buffalo and heard the accents of FARGO.

If only we had known that there is a big turtle ahhh but our favourite website was obviouslynot investigate thoroughly enough...more research needed before ourroadtrip.

We did manage to find a Big pelican, big turkey and big loon however on our return trip by asking around.

We also visited a great town of approx 112 people and had lunch and were given free condoms and icepicks.... odd but well ... small towns...

We then headed back towards Minneapolis and then down to AUstin Minneapolis a dream of ours for many years now. It is a place we had only dreamt of going... it was spoken about and discussed at length and finally we were there. I had first heard of this place in Switzerland when I was snowed in with some Americans. One came from this town which was to become a destination Lorraine and I would talk about frequently. Austin Minnesota the home of the SPAM museum...

Well what can I say the SPAM museum outlived expectations. We loved everything about it... How can you not love the Kitch.

We then returned for the conference. A few days of learning and scabbing freebies and nights of parties paid for by wealthy companies. We enjoyed all of it.... then we were back on the road.... heading to Iowa.....  

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about Dominican Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.