Existing Member?

Dominican Ears

Strange sort of street party

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | Wednesday, 28 June 2006 | Views [537]

Okay well last night I had just started cooking dinner. When finally after a week of no rubbish truck the rubbish truck came by. I had so much I had to tip the guys to make sure they would take it all. ( how much do you tip the guys who remove all your refuse). Everyone was in the same situation.. gee wonder why they often don't come that regularly!! After the truck passed we were left with garbage strewn around the street that had been dropped, also the strong stench of human faeces. In a country where the toilet paper is not put down the toilets but in the garbage what can we really expect. Anyway then all the neighbours and myself were outside wth hoses on ( no water shortage here) After ten minutes hosing down the street we had to get our brooms. The smell of course meant we needed to use cleaning solutions and really scrub at the road to remove the stuff left behind.( yeah I know environmentally friendly!!! ) We then all scrubbed out our bins. Picking up the swept up stuff into other plastic bags for the garbage.. this was not my favourite part. Also I kept seeing things and thinking wow I don't even have a baby how do I have so many diaper pieces, or I didn't eat oranges this week. After a while you jsut stop thinking.

Someone turned up the music and we all were yelling out and joking about it. All in all it was a strange but bonding street party. Then I washed up and prepared dinner. No plague of flying ants like most nights instead a plague of mozzies!!!! I guess they got stirred up... Well fumigation today so that should sort them out a bit. See ya Donna

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Dominican Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.