Existing Member?

The Long Journey Home Mountains, rivers and lakes. Sun, sea and sand. Rain, ferns and Kiwis. Snow, ice and glaciers. Tramp, trail and road run. Adventure....

Launceston to Bicheno

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 26 February 2015 | Views [314]

This morning we started off at the park in Launceston to see the collection of Japanese Macaques and then we headed out to the Pyengana cheese farm for tastings of five of their cheddars and a milkshake. The cows are very happy as they get their back scratched on their way out of the milking parlour! 

Next we stopped off at a town called Ledgerwood which has a column of trees that were planted as a memorial to the Tasmanian soldiers who died in the first world war. The trees had to be cut down for safety reasons but the town decided to carve the trunks in to soldiers as a permanent memorial.  

Saw a white bellied sea eagle. 

Next we went to the Bay of Fires on the East coast and had some time on the beach.  This was a bad afternoon for me, first I couldn't find my bikini anywhere and held everyone up looking for it.  Then we walked to the bay and I got there and realised i'd lost my shorts so I had to retrace my steps back to the van to look for them. Having found them on the beach I took some time out and had my lunch then returned to the others.  They were out on some rocks so I decided I would go swimming to the rocks in my underwear since I didn't have my bikini.  The water was turquoise and quite cold but really refreshing. The rocks were red which some people think is the reason it is called bay of fires - but actually it was because the ship that originally sailed past saw the aborigines sitting around lots of little fires. 

I got to the rocks and walked on to them but found myself on a very slippery section.  I was just manouvering myself on to a safer area when a wave washed over the rock and washed me down a crack between two rocks.  Unfortunately I got a nasty graze all down my leg and lots of little cuts on my feet and hands.  

Jacob helped me clean up back up at the van and we raided mine and the van's first aid kits. Back at the beach I sat on the beach for the remainder of the time there and took it easy! the beach had lovley squeaky sand. This is a great spot and is really beautiful but unfortunately it slips down my list of favourite activities on the tour because I was having a bad afternoon!

We carreid on to Bicheno where we stayed the night.  After dark we walked down to the blowhole to watch the little penguins coming in and were very lucky to see lots of them only about two metres away from us.  This was one of my highlights!  

Tags: beaches, on the road

 

About e_c_whittome


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.