Existing Member?

Adventures of a short vet

Rocking the kasbah

MOROCCO | Wednesday, 20 October 2010 | Views [992]

And I've made a new friend

And I've made a new friend

After a 4 hour drive to the Rose Valley we sent our main bags in the van to our next stop while we set off on another trek up to our next mountain gite with smaller overnight bags. We started the trek with lunch by the river (always a good start!) before setting out on our first hard climb up to the top of the mountain for yet another amazing view. But first we had to cross the river via a tiny one-plank bridge which wouldn’t have been too difficult had the river not been flowing so quickly that it made you dizzy to look down and causing the bridge to seem to sway. A few people chickened out and decided to wade across the river further up-stream, but when I saw it reach Ross’s thighs I realized it would be over my waist and decided to risk the bridge. Running across that little bridge with my bag and very non-waterproof camera strapped to my back was the most adrenalin-pumping exercise of the trip!

A little mule carrying water and extra gear led the way up the mountain and at first I thought the pace was quite sedate. We soon realized that although it was a slow pace the mule did not need to stop and after an hour of constant climbing we were KNACKERED. We reached the top to be greeted by black rain-clouds rolling in and there was frantic scrabbling for raincoats and bag covers, only to have a few half-hearted spots of rain hit us on the way down to the valley.

We walked down through the village and along the valley to our next overnight spot at the top of the Agouti gorge. The kasbah consisted of two big open rooms so most of the group took one room while the older Brit couple stayed in the other main room and the American couple decided to sleep in a little room in the tower of the Kasbah (which we didn’t understand since it was FREEZING up there). We spent the evening running around the roof of the Kasbah taking photos of the sunset over the village and the surrounding mountains, and generally playing the fool. Great group.

Tags: agouti gorge, kasbah, rose valley, trekking

About drmitch

Dr Nick my travel companion

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.