Existing Member?

namaste' my journey...

Phuket ::: Kata Beach

THAILAND | Friday, 14 November 2008 | Views [676]

Heading to Phuket…again it takes us all day to travel. They never take you directly to where you need to go. You end up changing buses a few times but again you get there all the same. Phuket is like the holiday spot for Europeans. There are a lot of family’s here and you feel almost like you are in Europe. There is every type of restaurant you can imagine. It is like Europe moved over here. It is a bit more expensive then most islands I have been on so far but the water is beautiful and the surf is great. Since I have been here all I have done is sunbathed and surfed. Yes I have been surfing and I love it. I rented a long board the first day with Kelly we had a blast. That night Kelly went off on a five day scuba trip so now I am solo again. I am loving it. I met a guy named Craig. The night Kelly left he and I and another couple staying at our bungalows went out for itlaian food. It was so good. And yes an Italian guy owns the place. Craig and I made plans that night to go to the beach together and surf the next day. We met around 10am hung out in the sun for most of the day and around 2 we rented our boards and headed out to surf. The waves were great. We had a ball. That night we went again to the Italian restaurant and then over to the reggae bar on the beach for a few beers and to watch the sunset. It was so beautiful. The bar had no music playing and it was because of the Queens funeral that had taken place on the 14th. The Queen of Thailand had died a year ago and on the 14th was her funeral. She would be taken thru the streets of BKK for a last precession. I guess it takes the Thai people a year to prepare for her funeral. While we were in BKK we saw them preparing for the days to come. They had barricades set up on all the streets. The park had been transformed into a beautiful stage like setup. Thai people (the only ones allowed) were going to see her in the Grand Palace were in all black morning her death. The Royal family was going to be coming to the Grand Place the day we were there and you should have seen the people awaiting their arrival. For the next three days stores will not sell alcohol and bars will not be playing music out of respect for their queen.
sunset on kata

sunset on kata

 

About drea72


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.