Existing Member?

Botswana & South Africa

The intersection between Traditional & Bio-contemporary Healing

BOTSWANA | Monday, 3 March 2014 | Views [370]

When I proudly mentioned to Kopo that I was on my way to meet with a traditional healer, she was shocked and informed me I shouldn't tell people that's what I was going to do. As if it's a dirty, little secret she shares with me the taboo surrounding traditional healers. We briefly shared our perspectives and understanding of the matter, with her requesing I ask the healer why it's such a forbidden topic, why are people reluctant to speak about it in public, only to be whispered behind very secured doors. Doc and the driver for the morning arrived around 8:30am and we were off to Mochudi to meet with Dr. B.G. Setilo, Spiritual and Traditional Healer. We sat for nearly 2 hours listening to him speak about his calling, where he is now and future plans--an interview. He would have gladly talked on longer and shared more with us if it were not for doc being on a time crunch. I was encouraged to ask frank questions and I did. One burning question (other than the taboo of going to see a traditional healer) was why did he say he was afraid to die when he first began to speak. The time with him echoed the misconception and misinformation about Haitian's practicing voodoo or Spanish Caribbeans belief in Santería or the Yorùbá religion. This guys, Dr. B.G. Setilo, Spiritual & Traditional Healer is trying to get this to be a legit, recognized, monitored, accepted, licensed profession. Of course, I had to meet and interview him. All about integrative care. Trying to demystify & bridge contemporary and traditional medicine in a researchable & scientific way. He's righting a book about the two words and I suggested we collaborate on some articles as prelude to the book. He is very interested. Back at Hana by noon, laid in bed, thinking, finally nap came to me.

Tomorrow we visit Sbrana Psychiatric Hospital in Lobatse.

About domzworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Botswana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.