Existing Member?

Central America Adventure Peace be the Journey

A Brief History of My Jamaica

JAMAICA | Sunday, 31 October 2010 | Views [554] | Comments [3]

I call it "My" Jamaica because its the Jamaica in the way that I view it, the Jamaica thats been a long time love affair of every member of my family since the 80's.  I was five or six years old the first time we imported a "VAN," what we would call a 4x4 truck, into Jamaica to sell.  During the vehicle inspection, that was necessary for all vehicles imported into the country to go through, we actually sold this "van." To the head inspectors family no less.  After that our Jamaican buisness was born. We would have as many as 15 vans gracing the gravel car lot up near a "turn in the road" in Lances Bay, Jamaica.  This car lot would serve as the funding for countless trips to Jamaica as children and as a large family.  

We had our own van, a pimped out low riding chevy 2 door truck, with a removable roof, it also had a fiberglass box built into the bed of the truck with two 18 in'' and about, 4 - 15 in'' speakers blaring away, as we would literally fly down the road. The van we drove had a two tone paint job, it was white with a purple tint that would glare out in the sun.  The Van was dubbed "PURPLE HAZE" and had its name strung across the windshield.

  So we spent our days fishing, snorkeling, cliff diving, and drinking red stripe. Until one trip about 12 years ago, when I left, I didn't come back.

Now 12 years later, reunited with my childhood friends and family, I am back in Jamaica traveling the island, and reaping the fruit of the good name my father built up in this country.      

Comments

1

Keep the stories coming!

  Larry O Dec 3, 2010 5:23 AM

2

your a towel

  Keith Dec 4, 2010 4:40 AM

3

well written !!!

  bobby Dec 9, 2010 10:08 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Jamaica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.