Existing Member?

Retired and Loving It

The Red Rocks of Sedona

USA | Tuesday, 1 May 2012 | Views [625]

Enjoying some off roading views

Enjoying some off roading views

We were reluctant to leave the Westin Kierland in Scottsdale; such a lovely hotel, a lovely old town and a great overall experience.  However, we were looking forward to arriving in Sedona, and enroute visited Montezuma Castle, a remarkable old indian cave dwelling, and also a modern chapel on a hill just outside Sedona.  Nothing could have prepared us for the view as we reached Sedona; so different from anything seen so far on this trip and the photographs attest to their magnificence. We have been awestruck several times in our travels over the years and the first sight of the red rock formations of Sedona was something very different.

At the hotel Diana made her first [of many we are sure] faux pas.  What was it - she made the English mistake of asking for a dry Sherry from the waiter who instantly told her that that was a European drink and not available!  Well, Malc had a smile and she has not been allowed to forget it during the visit.

Diana decided she needed to buy a stetson to blend in with the scenery, activities and the locals so watch out for the photograph.  We spent an amazing day off roading in our hire SUV formerly white now a lovely shade of pink dust, jiggled about to distraction and enjoying the magnificent, awe inspiring scenery. 

Malc is now eagerly anticipating tomorrow's destination - Monument Valley where John Wayne and John Ford made some superb [his words] Western films.  He was even looking at healed cowboy boots yesterday, not seriously I hope, and admired the spurs, leather belt and stetson worn by a young woman today; least I think that is what he was admiring.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.