Existing Member?

Travels

The Sacred Valley

PERU | Friday, 14 September 2007 | Views [658]

There is much more to area around Cusco than Macchu Picchu - the Inca's called the area the Sacred Valley and there are many other buildings and relics etc. The one which seemed the most interesting to us was Pisac - an Inca village on a hillside.

We took the rattling local bus out there from Cusco then walked through the narrow cobbled streets to the main square/ market place from which the trail up there begins. It was quite steep but not too difficult so we took our time lingering around the various ruins of houses, stables. pools etc. It was one of those climbs where each time you get to the point that you think must be the top , yet another level a bit further back is revealled.

The view back down to the township in the valley was lovely and we marvelled at how affluent and well planned the town was. There were large well layout farms, cultivated by modern machinery. We noted some type of resort or perhaps even a sports training camp that had a soccer oval, swimming pool, small golf course, tennis courts. All this defying our impression of this being a small poor place. We never did find out what the complex was.

Up on the hillside we marvelled at the Incan architecture and organisation and were very impressed by the way it had all been maintained. We stayed for a long time meandering through the various buildings before heading back down. We stopped for a while to haggle at the market for some gifts then waited at the bus stop for a while for the next bus back to Cusco.

It was getting sunset and the stop was very crowded, but we bustled our way to get a standing position on the next bus that came. Jo managed eventually to get a seat at the back and I stooped in the aisle - as these busses were built for the local average height which must be around five foot nothing. After paying for our tickets I stuffed the change in one of my pockets - but being ever wary in cramped places and feeling irrationally uncomfortable I handed the money over to Jo who put it in her backpack.

There are many other interesting things to see along the way - but we stayed on the bus as it was getting dark and got back to the bus stop as it was getting dark. we didn't know which way to go so "followed the crowd" towards the next main street. One man off the bus was particularly helpful and walked with us to a connecting bus stop. The stop was crowded and people bustled past on the footpath as we waited for the bus. The man we had been talking to seemed to be pressing into us. I turned just in time to see him unzipping Jo's backpack at the place she had put the money. A lady next to us had seen him too - he ran quickly away. He hadn't had time to take anything, but we were obviously annoyed and reminded ourselves to keep our money well concealed and locked away where possible.

We ended up walking back to the main square, despite the theft attempt at the end of the day we had enjoyed it very much. 

  

Tags: adventures

About dean_ian


Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.