Existing Member?

Travels

Trek to Isla del Sol

BOLIVIA | Tuesday, 11 September 2007 | Views [609]

We had a long interesting trek (about 17k) from Copabana to Yampupate from where we planned to catch a boat across to the Isla del Sol (Island of the sun) where apparently the first Inca rose out of a stone.

We passes through a couple of small villages on the way along the beautiful mediteranian looking edge of Lake Titicaca. It was a beautiful day with magnificent scenery, quiet peacefull, perfect.

We arrived at Yampupate to find a fiesta underway - but it was quite small scale and we were quite tired so decided to head straight to the port. We were negotiating the price across in a small tinny when we noticed a larger boat loading wood and managed to get a ride across with them for a nominal cost. We took a modest room at the Inti Wayra which was at the top of the "Incan Stairway" at the south of the island. It was a steep climb up, very tiring and cold , the altitude, thin air, sun and wind burn not helping our condition all.

A thoroughly enjoyable and exhausting day.  

Tags: on the road

 

About dean_ian


Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.