Existing Member?

Travels

The missing Condors

PERU | Sunday, 9 September 2007 | Views [530]

We took a local bus in the morning to a lookout quite close to the "Cruz de Condor" lookout where it was anticipated that we may be able to see some condors. It was a beautiful peaceful place and we sat around for about an hour - no condors but a nice restful time.

We took the next bus to Chivay where after a buffet lunch (and Jo's first taste of Guinea Pig) it had been anticipated that we would go to some hot springs - but in the end noone was that interested and we collectively decided to give it a miss. We hung around the town, had some lunch then caught another bus headed back to Arequipa.

As we were heading East to Puno - we got off the bus at a junction rather than go back to Arequipa and retrace our steps - the intention was to hail a passing bus of which there was reportedly many. After the first five busses that passed were full and it was getting dark, we started to worry a little and toyed with the idea of going in the other direction for the night and trying again.

In the end the next bus - which was also full to overflowing decided they could cram in two more , so we ended up sitting in the cabin with the driver , two of us sharing one seat and "hump" in the middle. It was a great view and an interesting drive.   

we arrive at Puno after dark and stayed at the Don Julio hotel which was a step up from other places we had been staying, a nice change. 

 

Tags: planes trains & automobiles

 

About dean_ian


Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.