Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

Sensitive Pipes and Srebenica in Sarajevo

BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA | Monday, 31 August 2015 | Views [490]

Well, Yesterday was my last day in Sarajevo, and my last day at the Vagabond Hostel. This hostel has been a little bit unique:

 

(1) The fluorescent light bulb, which is above my bunk (and 6 others), has been flickering on and off when turned on. When I told the front desk about the need for a new light bulb, he told me "Yeah. we know".

 

(2) The kitchen is pretty well stocked, with plates, cups, forks, knives, etc-but when I asked for napkins/paper towel, the guy at the front desk looked at me as if I had asked for the flux capacitor. I ended up eating my bread and oranges for breakfast on toilet paper.

 

(3) The lights to the showers didn't turn on at all one day

 

(4) Not a problem with the hostel-but one night I got back to the room at 11:00 pm and layed down. At 1:00 am I awoke to brush my teeth, etc-the idea was a no-go. In the old section of town-the water is turned off between midnight and 5 am.  The pipes are too sensitive for 24 hour operation I guess. 

Actually, other then that the hostel isn't horrible, the staff is nice overall, and a nice common area with couches and a photo exhibition is downstairs.

But of course, I didn't spend my last day at the hostel, although I did get up later. I awoke to go to the museum that started with the Ferdinand shooting (the start of World War I), but found the museum closed. I continued to walk around, and found a gallery that focused on Srebrenica. Srebrenica is a town in East Bosnia where thousands we're killed in 1995.  The Serbs, who once again weren't happy about Bosnia declaring independence from the former Yugoslavia, conquered all of the surrounding towns around Srebenica. Many refugees went to Srebenica, and the UN declared Srebenica a safe area, sending in convoys with food, water and other supplies for the refugees. The Serbs cut of the convoys, and ended up killing many in Srebenica, including the systematic massacre of 8000 men and boys.

 

There we're many chilling photographs, video presentations of survivor accounts, and a guide who spoke a  mile a minute. I remember when the  Bosnian War was in the news, and I certainly didn't understand it then. Now that I am here, I  understand a little more, but I have never heard of Srebrenica, but maybe I was one of the few (or one of the few Americans visiting), by the way the guide kept talking quickly.

 

Then I took the tram to a shopping mall to look for a filter for my camera, and went back to town for dinner of Burek once again (bread in meat and bread in potatoes, once again.

 

Tags: bosnia sarajevo

 

 

Travel Answers about Bosnia & Herzegovina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.