Existing Member?

Worldtrip a 45 year old's adventures around the world-which include everything from sitting in random McDonalds using his notebook, hanging with 22 year olds, and other immature stuff.

I am trying to buy some hashish

PORTUGAL | Saturday, 30 May 2015 | Views [565]

That must be what the message was I was conveying yesterday in Lisbon-that I am trying to buy drugs. At least 8 guys, mostly middle-age to older tried to sell me drugs.  And these guys are persistant. I found that yelling "I DON'T DO DRUGS" at the top of my lungs is an effefctive way to have these guys stop.

To start my day in Lisbon, I went looking for the hop-on hop-off bus to take me around. Eventually I found it-this is actually a combination ticket for a few busses, as well as a hop-on hop-off streetcar. Lison has a large streetcar system, and one is of the company as the bus.  First I took the streetcar to the top of a large hill, and slowly walked down, examining the amazing scenary-buildings of all type, shapes, all very old, amongst the river and sea. Then I walked downhill slowly. My first stop was a museum that foucuses on freedom and liberation. I received more info from this museum then basically all of those I visited in the UK. The reason is this: (1) I was one of maybe 3 people visiting yesterday, and (2) Only one of the exhibits was in English-basically translations for a continiuous loop film about how the leader of Portugal was a ally with Hitler and Mussolini. The other exhibits (all of them) we're in Portugese only.  So rather then being overwhelmed by scores and scores of exhibits which I will soon forget, i saw one meaningful exhibit-plus a museum guide came over to me and explained what the museum was about. Portugal was a dictatorship, and continued being a dictatorship long after World War II  ended. Until April 25, 1974 to be exact. Complete with concentration camps with people who tried to protest the government fascist policies, located in the portugeuse colony of Cape Verde, Africa. April 25, 1974 was the day of liberation. Tons of parties happen on that date. Even a suspension bridge built under the old dictatorship has been renamed the April 25, 1974 bridge.

After the museum, I walked to a nearby cathedral, which  had intricate Chapels of various Saints other figures, and even an archealogical dig in the back which had both signs of the Roman and Islam excavations.

I then enjoyed a lunch of salted mackeral, with the entire fish on my plate, including the eyeballs and tail.  Later I took the hop-on hop-off bus once again and went to other parts of the city, including the new section with hugh office buildings, and a section by the sea with plenty of monuments.

 

 

 

Tags: lisbon, museum

 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.