Existing Member?

Return of the Warchild - Behind the Scenes

My Scholarship entry - Through Local Eyes

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 2 October 2012 | Views [660] | Comments [3] | Scholarship Entry

My entry video is the documentation of myself during a recent expedition to Africa, which showcases the return of local Lost Sudan Boys back to their homes in Kenya and Uganda. I was traveling as a student filmmaker to gain experience in the field of travel documentary. My inspiration came from such a powerful and compelling story of death, abandonment, and recovery. I knew i had to share this story with others.

I have been an avid filmmaker and photographer for six years, freelancing small projects while finishing my degree, which I cannot wait to complete in April 2013 so that I may start focusing on building a career in travel filmmaking.

Documentary and storytelling through film is my ultimate passion. When I was sent on this expedition to Africa, I was sent alone as an amateur with no direction, no organization and overall no mentorship from an experienced filmmaker like Trent O’Donnell. I believe working alongside with Trent would help mold my creative ideas into a clear vision. Working with Trent would also develop my on-camera personality, which is something I want to build upon.

This opportunity, would also count as credits toward my degree requirements.

Tags: Travel Film Scholarship 2012

Comments

1

One of my biggest pet peeves is the type of artist who consistently shoves their work in your face expecting some kind of gratification from forcing others to appreciate what they've created. Dave, one of the many beautiful qualities of your work is that your crazy combination of talent, passion, and dedication allows your work to promote itself; we all get to just sit back and enjoy watching you experience some amazing opportunities and create mind-blowing work out of it. Despite being one of the most respectable photographer/filmmaker around these parts, you're also the most down-to-earth and humble guy, and I can't tell you enough how refreshing that is these days - ESPECIALLY given the out-of-this-world calibre of your work. GOOD LUCK, and I'm not worried because you've absolutely got what it takes to succeed doing what you love.

  Anon Oct 2, 2012 2:50 AM

2

David, I could not agree more with the previous comment. You are undoubtedly one of the most talented filmmakers that I know yet never once have I felt that you are broadcasting your work in hopes of seeking recognition.

Your talent and passion for what you do speaks for itself, particularly in this application. It's so great to be able to follow you on your journeys through your work and I am beyond excited to see where your art takes you next! Keep up the unreal work man, you are so amazing. National Geographic is going to be so lucky to have you on their side!

  Whitney Oct 2, 2012 2:55 AM

3

Always proud bud, keep up the good work.

  Derek Oct 2, 2012 3:37 AM

About davidcopithorne


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.