Existing Member?

World Adventure

Lake Como 2

ITALY | Tuesday, 9 October 2012 | Views [1247]

9Oct12 Lake Como
Purchased day passes for the Boat service with the intention of heading as far up the lake as we could with the public ferry service.
This is a lovely looking lake and there is no wonder why it is so popular. We did notice later in the day that certain areas such as the mid-lake caught the afternoon sun.
The slow boat trip does become a little tedious after a couple of hours and I realized that it is probably better to just purchase a one way ticket and catch a train back once you are finished.
You have to be careful with the ferry time tables as they are designed to force you to stay mid lake for a couple of hours and the towns just a short distance away can be very different.
Our favorite pretty village would have to be Varenna ,located on the Eastern side of the lake,with a population of 850 people ,it is crowned by a castle and studded with extravagant villas
We probably would not take the 2+hr ferry ride each way again as almost 5 hours on the Lake was a bit much . It did however have the advantage of allowing us to see the views from different perspectives and to have both morning and afternoon light during our trip.
George Clooney did not invite us over for lunch at his villa which was quite disappointing.

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.