Existing Member?

World Adventure

Switzerland-Bern

SWITZERLAND | Wednesday, 12 September 2012 | Views [665]

12Sep Bern
Raining all over Switzerland. Visited historic Bern as it has covered walkways. Lots of tourist groups. Nice town. Watched the clock perform at luchtime - a smaller version of the  rathaus glockenspiel in Munich. Reminds me. The appropriately named town hall - rathaus makes me chuckle every time I see the name. The strong german influence in Switzerland meant that the town hall was still named the rathaus. Switzerland speaks German in 2/3 of the country - does that mean Switzerland is really Germans in the mountains? Just a thought. Perhaps the Swiss will be throwing cheese fondu forks at me for this comment.
It was quite a cool wet day and the wind was cutting and we found some relief in the cathedral.
I really like this city. The blend of old and new really works and the covered walkways really turned a miserable day into an acceptable day.
We found the four bears and the bear pit sleeping - what rain? - then wandered over to the Einstein museum to learn about relativity.
Caught the train/bus/cable car to Gimmelwald.

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.