Existing Member?

World Adventure

Melaka

MALAYSIA | Thursday, 24 June 2010 | Views [1169]

Hi All,

Hot, Hot, Hot. This place is Hot. Hot. Hot.

Melaka is midway between the capital cities of Singapore and Kuala Lumpur and at the mouth of the Strait of Melaka, a crucial shipping route connecting the Indian and Pacific oceans,Melaka has been a centre of trade and cultural exchange for more than 600 years. Established at the beginning of the 14th century, Melaka was set up by a renegade Hindu Prince who originally hailed from Sumatra control of Melaka since the Hindu Prince´s reign has changed many times Portuguese sailors conquered it in 1511 and turned the city into a walled fortress, hoping to take control of the spice and silk trade and from that point, and for the next 400 years Melaka remained under European influence – the Dutch rose to power in 1641, followed by the British in 1824. With the exception of four years of Japanese occupation during WWII, Melaka remained a British colony until Malaysia gained independence in 1957.

Melaka was recently designated as a World Heritage site. Dotted around the city's historic quarter, many buildings have been painstakingly restored and preserved.

We stayed in the heart of chinatown at 20 Jonker street. The place was a beautiful old three story dutch terrace house near the main town square. It was very nice even if the staff were too cool to be helpful.

Unfortunately we found that the floorboards tranmitted the sound from the room above us very well but this could only be considered a very small issue. It was great to just lay back on the bed and look up at the high ceiling. Such extravagant use of timber. Some of the wooden floor boards would have been over 350mm wide and the supporting beams 200mm.

We wandered around following the river past the old town hall and found a nice food hall that had a wide range of asian food about 1km later. Certainly wasn't Penang quality but was cheap. We didn't have a map and after searching for a supermarket found ourselves lost and without any sense of direction. It was infuriating but interesting as it took us out of the main tourist area and down some nice backstreets full of life. Eventually we found the river and followed it along back to our guesthouse.

It was the weekend so there were markets along the length of the street. For once we not the targets of the sellers affections as Melaka gets a lot of tourists from singapore so it was nice just to wander. The area was a nic nac shoppers heaven and also had the largest collection of sweet his and hers t-shirts that we had ever seen. Probably another indicator that we weren't the target market. 

Karaoke was popular in some of the shops along the way with one old lady belting out a chinese song in tune. The highlight was the permanent stage near the end of the street with distorted music, a singer and and old man, one of the tallest, skiniest chinese men I have ever seen, with a black wig, dancing as part of the act. It was priceless. He even sang. Eat some food dancing skeleton!  

Next day.

Headed straight to tourist information for a map. Run out of maps. Sorry. Hmmm. We headed over to the town hall which is now a museum. Quite a nice display. Then down backstreets to the rubber boom millionaires row of terrace houses and onto the Baba-Nonya Heritage Museum another large house of a wealthy businessman. Baba-Nonya are the chinese-malaysians in Malaka. It was elaborate, very well presented by a lady with a sparkle in her eyes and a great sense of humour. We especially liked the peep hole above the door entrance which, when the house was occupied, was used to encourage unwelcome visitors to leave by pouring the contents of the commode through it.When we first arrived at the museum and an elderly Singaporean  gentleman,who was visiting the museum with his family, immediately started talking to us and telling us of the history of the house and its previous inhabitants.We were interested in what he was saying so listened intently and at one point he point with his walking stick to a framed photograph on the wall,little did we know that he had committed a grave offence by pointing at the deceased so his daughter growled  at him  telling him that he had been being respectfulness of the dead and she commenced praying and asking for forgiveness in front of the picture.The gentleman continued to talk with us but it felt like we had stopped into a family feud and he was using us as respite from his family.The family didn´t have any issues with us and the daughter spoke with us on numerous occasions  but Dad was obviously needing to go to the naughty step in their eyes and they didn´t speak to him much during the tour..Asians are extremely tolerate  and polite when it comes to  Westerners who are probably continually commencing offences. 

We were getting a little hungry and found an excellent local favourite place on 88 Jonker street. Very spicy food followed by delicious Cendol. Look up Jonker 88 on the internet for a look. This place is not to be missed even if it is just to watch the odd rat scurrying under and between  tables carrying food in its mouth.Would this place meet health regulation in the western world? I very much doubt it.Did we  care? Not one little bit.This place is totally devoid of western tourists  and is fully of memorabilia from bygone eras so is in fact a cafe museum .If you get the chance go there.

Escaped the midday heat and retreated back to the guesthouse for a few hours.

We headed off and climbed sweaty hill, St Pauls hill, to visit the ruins of the church. Some too cool young western tourists were blocking most of the entrance to the church ruins so I made a point of 'accidently' collecting one heavily on the way past to make the point that this is a walkway not a seat. I have no tolerance for these kind of western tourists. The ruins were supposed to be imposing but we did not find that the case however the tomb stones were interesting and some dated to the early 15th century.  

Went for a cruise on the Melaka river. We grabbed the front seats on opposite sides of the boats then, even with available seats elsewhere, a large indian man sat next to Vanessa so she was leaning away for the rest of the trip. The front seat choice was not so good as the boat caused a regular stream of small splashes, similar to water torture, to hit us in the face for to whole 7km. Quite refreshing really.

The riverfront buildings were quite nice and a lot of them were painted with impressive murals. We passed a youth centre with a youth singing Karaoke passionately to an invisible audience or perhaps for passing boats before coming to a historical suburb of Malaka with traditional wooden houses. 


Next day.

Took it easy for the morning before catching the bus to Kuala Lumpur. All went well until we got on the metro and my most efficient plan to get us to chinatown didn't work out as planned. We had an enormous row over the definition of mistake in the context of planning. We both have strong personalities. It was the  immovable mountain meeting the unstoppable force. Our stubbornness and determination has helped us get to where we are in our lives but sometimes it works against us. No talking and time was the solution. It was really stupid and not the ideal way to celebrate our 20th anniversary.............

We arrived quietly at Chinatown.


Bye,

David and Vanessa

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.