Existing Member?

World Adventure

Oslo, Norway

NORWAY | Wednesday, 23 September 2009 | Views [770]

Hi All,

Not quite sure about whether we made any savings travelling with ryanair. To get from Vienna to Frankfurt we spent 10 hrs on the train then to get to frankfurt hahn airport another 1.5hr on a bus then a wait of 6hrs before our 1.5hr flight to Oslo TORP airport and to finish off another 1.5hr bus trip to Oslo. So we finally arrived almost 24 hrs after we set off.

The drive in was quite pretty with the trees leaves starting to turn and we even noticed our first moose crossing sign. Later we got an offer to go moose hunting with one of Vanessa´s friends. Not for us.

Well we are in Oslo and that was our objective.

It was surprising when we arrived in Oslo to see that there is a large ethnic population of middle east and african people in the centre of town.

We checked in to the ankor hostel which is about 10min from the bus station. The staff were less than enthusiastic and the rooms are pretty basic. Pretty disappointing considering this is the most expensive hostel from our trip.

We wandered down to check out the local supermarket and discovered on the way that a kebab would cost AUD12. At least we found a nice can of meat and vegetables for about AUD5. It was off with the label and top and then directly heating the contents in the can on the cooktop in the room as there were no pots or pans. Worked fine.

I can see us eating this on the ship but Vanessa is not convinced as we would have to eat it cold.

We have an opera fan in the room. Paul from Kuala Lumpa, Malaysa, who travels the world when he is not working in the department store looking for the opera. He has been fun to talk with as he is really well travelled. Vanessa found out later that he was a fashion designer who had trained and worked in London before returning to Malaysia.Paul currently works as deputy store manager of a department store and overseas two lines of womens clothing.

Will have to wait a whilet to head out tomorrow. It seems that the sun doesn´t rise until 8am. Vanessa will be restless waiting.

Bye,

David and Vanessa

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Norway

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.