Existing Member?

Dan and Kilee's Travels

Second Day in Bangkok

THAILAND | Tuesday, 30 December 2008 | Views [660] | Comments [3]

We got an earlier start today since we have now fully adjusted to the time change.  We headed to a section of Bangkok nicknamed "Backpackers Paradise" on Khao San Road -- it has cheaper arts/crafts stores and more authentic Thai restaurants.  We signed-up for a Thai cooking class with one of those restaurants - May Kadiee's.  It's a vegetarian restaurant which is difficult to find in Bangkok.


There were 16 people in the class -- all tourists -- which at first was a bit annoying since I felt like I was following the guide book like everyone else.  That passed quickly when we started to grind the first ingredients to make green curry paste.  We all walked down the block to a small vegatable and fish market where May Kadiee explained all of the ingredients (veggies, sauces, noodles) that we will use to make our meals.  Upon returning, we went the kitchen and started our first dish.  We made Tom Yum Soup, Inaan Soup, Fried Veggies in mushroom sauce, Pad Thai with Tofu, Massaman Curry, Green Curry, Peanut Sauce, Thai Spring Rolls, Papaya Salad.  Needless to say we were stuffed upon leaving there.  It was really fun and we both learned a lot.  We took good notes so we'll try to have a Thai dinner party when we return.


Then, we took another tuk tuk to the Grand Palace - the most famous Buddhist temple in Bangkok - housing the Emerald Buddha and the residence of the royal family of Thailand.  It was spectacular --- bold and ornate architecture throughout.  Our pictures while nice really don't do it justice.  We walked the grounds for a couple hours enjoying the history of the temple.  Truly a must see even though it is always busy with tourists.


Next, we bargained our way to a good deal on a riverboat tour.  They use longboats to go through the side channels off the main river. It was nice to have a wind in our face in the heat of the day while taking in the views.  We rode past many Wats (temples), shanty housing, floating market, fish farm, and Wat Arun.  We were told the boat was stopping at Wat Arun for us -- it didn't.  I wasn't too happy about it so I talked with the lady that sold us our ticket.  She made up a lame excuse about Wat Arun not being open because the queen was there.  I knew enough to know she was lying - I called her on it.  She told me to go find her boss in the market. I replied "how do I know who she is?" -- then, she ignored me, classic.  Well, after some stubborness on our end we did get a boat to Wat Arun. 


Wat Arun is the temple directly across the river from our hotel.  It was nice to see the prangs (towers) up close -- well sort of.  It was closed when we finally made it there.  We still enjoyed it though.  That was the last Wat that we will see in Bangkok.

We're headed to another recommended vegetarian restaurant -- yummy more curry....


Dan and Kilee

 

Comments

1

I am enjoying reading about your travels and am anxioius for more. It will be fun to speak with you more when you get home. We are glad you guys made it safe and sound. A3O

  Aaron Dec 31, 2008 1:21 AM

2

Thank you for the wonderful journal. What a great adventure you are having. Everything is cold and snowy here. We have about 7 more inches of snow. Michael and the boys dug out 1121 and 106 and David's today. Tonight they are all having pizza and playing ping pong. Tomorrow will be a New Year's Eve Party at David's house with Brenda and Derek bringing the new year with a Yoga New's Year's Eve.

Stay healthy and happy,

Mom and Dad Weiler
Love you and Hugs always.

  Mom Dec 31, 2008 12:18 PM

3

i'm following the journal! memories come back as i live through your videos. looks great so far. much love, mark

  mark weiler Jan 3, 2009 4:33 PM

About danweiler


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.